Document Type : Original Article
Department of Environmental Education, Management and Planning, School of Environment, College of Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
The social impact assessment is a strategic tool for managing development-related social activities aimed at reducing economic, social, and environmental costs. Since development plans incorporate undeniable impacts and consequences on the social, economic and environmental characteristics of an area, recognizing and managing these impacts can play an important role in promoting and sustaining the projects in addition to reducing negative effects and enhancing positive outcomes. Aiming to assess the social impacts of marine projects and structures, this study investigated the impacts of Chamkhaleh Port construction on the quality of life, social capital, economics, and environmental indicators.
Material and methods:
The present study was applied, descriptive-analytical and correlational research. The statistical population was 8840 people from Chaf and Chamkhaleh city in 2016. The sample size was estimated 400 using Cochran formula and distributed by stratified random sampling. The research tool was a researcher-made questionnaire, the validity of which was confirmed by content validity and construct validity. Also, its reliability was confirmed by Cronbach's alpha coefficient of 0.750. Finally, the data obtained from the questionnaire were analyzed using descriptive and correlation analysis in SPSS 20 and LISREL 8.80 software.
Results and discussion:
The results of the confirmatory factor analysis showed that the impact of the port on the quality of life index was 5.69, which indicated the positive impact of the project in this section. The greatest impact on this sector was the improvement of the tourism situation with an impact of 7.8 and then new job opportunities with the impact of 7.01. In the social capital section, the most important impact was the increase in the participation of people in the development plans of the region with an impact of 6.20. The impact of the construction of the port on the economic section was 6.48, which indicated the positive impact of the project in this section. The project's effect on the environmental sector was 2.90, which indicated the negative effect of the project on this sector. The creation of air pollution in the region with an impact coefficient of 5.61 and pollution of seawater and changes in water quality in rivers and coastal waters with an impact factor of 5.466 would have negative effects on the environment. Because in the sustainability of developmental projects social, human, financial, infrastructure (physical), and natural assets must be developed or improved, it is necessary to enhance the positive effects of the plan in order to reduce the negative impacts. Project implementation can be a step towards improving the social, economic, and environmental conditions of the region.
The social impacts of the construction projects are as important as their economic impacts and have a direct impact on the fate of the project and the achievement of its goal. Since such projects have significant impacts on people's lives, social impact assessment and identifying the impacts helps people become aware of the effects of projects, leading to social development, increasing development efficiency and reducing the negative impacts of development plans and a move towards sustainable development.
- Ahmadi Avendi, Z., Behmaee, S., Sepahvand, A. and Lajm Orakmoradi, A., 2014. Assessment of the social and cultural consequences of dam construction project 3 city Eizeh. The Journal of Social Development. 8(3), 27-52. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Ahmadiyan, S., 2015. Social Impact Assessment (SIA) of gas industry development on rural areas of Gachsaran and Basht: The case of Bidboland- Shiraz gas pipeline. MSc. Thesis. Yasouj University, Iran (In Persian with English abstract).
- Bakar, A.A., Osman, M.M., Bachok, S. and Zen, I., 2015. Social impact assessment: how do the public help and why do they matter?. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 170, 70-77.
- Ebrahimi Mastakani, A. and Ahmadvand, M., 2015. Assessing the socio-economic impacts of the border market of Sero on development of surrounding rural areas. Journal of Rural Research. 6(2), 369-388. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Emami, L., Pourashraf, Y. and Toulabi, Z., 2016. A model for customers switching from national bank by applying structured equations (case study: national bank branches in Ilam Province). Marketing Management. 26, 25-47. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Franks, D., 2012. Social impact assessment of resource projects. International Mining for Development Centre. Mining for Development: Guide to Australian Practice. Queensland, Australia.
- Ghasemi, V., 2009. Introduction to Structural Equation Modeling, Publications Sociologists, Tehran, Iran.
- Hall, P.V. and Jacobs, W., 2009. Ports in proximity, proximity in ports: towards a typology. In: Notteboom, T., Ducruet, C. and De Langen, P.W. (Eds.), Ports in Proximity: Competition and Coordination among Adjacent Seaports. Ashgate Publishing limited. Farnham, England. pp. 29-40.
- Imani, A., Mansoori, F. and Amooei, M., 2016. Social and cultural impact assessment of geometric correction of urban passages (By studying the geometric correction of passages in District 18 of Tehran). Research and Urban Planninng.7(25), 85-104. (In Persian with English abstract).
- IAIA, 2003. International Association for Impact Assessment. Available online at: http://www.iaia.org/publicdocuments/special-publications/SP2.pdf.
- Kabir, M.R., 2014. Social Impact Assessment of water pollution: a case study on Bangshi River, Savar. Ph.D. Thesis. BRAC University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Khani, F., Ghasemi Vasme Jani, A. and Ghanbari Nasab, A., 2009. Investigating the impacts of coastal tourism by relying on a survey of rural families (case study: Chamkhaleh Village, Langroud County). Quarterly Journal of Human Geography. 1(4), 51-64. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Liew, C.I., 2013. Planning for development using Social Impact Assessment (SIA). Ph.D. Thesis. Lincoln University, New Zealand.
- Malek Hosseini, A. and Mirakzadeh, A.A., 2014. Economic impacts Assessment of development projects on rural areas: case study of irrigation and drainage network of Soleimanshah dam. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development Research. 45(1), 183-193. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Maragkogianni, A. and Papaefthimiou, S., 2015. Evaluating the social cost of cruise ships air emissions in major ports of Greece. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. 36, 10-17.
- McCombes, L., Vanclay, F. and Evers, Y., 2015. Putting social impact assessment to the test as a method for implementing responsible tourism practice. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 55, 156-168.
- Mohammadi, J. and Daneshmehr, H., 2013. Social impact assessment of reparation and reconstruction of urban parks and gardens (a case study on the gardens of district 18 in Tehran). Motaleate Shahri. 2(7), 61-72. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Mohsenin, S. and Esfidani, M.R., 2014. Structural Equation Modeling Using Laserl Software. Merciful Book Institute. Tehran. Iran.
- Monavari, M., 2004. Environmental Impact Assessment of ports. Farzaneh Book Press. Tehran. Iran.
- Montes, C.P., Seoane, M.J.F. and Laxe, F.G., 2012. General cargo and containership emergent routes: A complex networks description. Transport Policy. 24, 126-140.
- Musso, E., Benacchio, M. and Ferrari, C., 2000. Ports and employment in port cities. International Journal of Maritime Economics. 2(4), 283-311.
- Nowacki, J., Viliani, F., Martuzzi, M. and Fehr, R., 2014. Health in impact assessmentsâopportunities not to be missed. The European Journal of Public Health. 24, 136-166.
- Nzeadibe, T.C., Ajaero, C.K., Okonkwo, E.E., Okpoko, P.U., Akukwe, T.I. and Njoku-Tony, R.F., 2015. Integrating community perceptions and cultural diversity in social impact assessment in Nigeria. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 55, 74-83.
- Praveen, S. and Jegan, J., 2016. Investigation of proposed infrastructure developments in Beypore Port, using Rapid Impact Assessment Matrix (RIAM). International Research Journal of Environment Sciences. 5(11), 56-64.
- Rahbar, D., 2008. Environmental Impact Assessment of ports and marine projects. In Proceedings 3th International Conference on Coasts, Ports and Marine Structures, 13th December, Tehran, Iran. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Salehi, S., Mohammadi, J., Mir Mohammad Tabar Divkolai, S.A. and Saradipour, A., 2013. Social and Environmental Impact Assessment of construction and development of Fereidoonkenar port on local community Fereidoonkenar. Quarterly Journal of Environmental Education and Sustainable Development. 4, 41-57. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Sarmad, Z., Bazargan, A. and Hejazi, E., 2011. Research Methods in Behavioral Sciences. Agah Press, Tehran, Iran.
- Schreckenberg, K., Camargo, I., Withnall, K., Corrigan, C., Franks, P., Roe, D., Scherl, L.M. and Richardson, V., 2010. Social Assessment of Conservation Initiatives: A review of rapid methodologies, Natural Resource. International Institute for Environment and Development, London, UK.
- Shaw, D.R., Grainger, A. and Achuthan, K., 2017. Multi-level port resilience planning in the UK: How can information sharing be made easier?. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 121, 126-138.
- Slootweg, R., Vanclay, F. and van Schooten, M., 2001. Function evaluation as a framework for the integration of social and environmental impact assessment. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. 19(1), 19-28.
- Tavakoli, B., 2011. Environmental Impact Assessmnet report of Chamkhaleh Port. Ports and Maritime Organization, Guilan, Iran.
- Tompkins, E.L., Few, R. and Brown, K., 2008. Scenario-based stakeholder engagement: incorporating stakeholders preferences into coastal planning for climate change. Journal of Environmental Management. 88(4), 1580-1592.
- Umair, S., BjÃ¶rklund, A. and Petersen, E.E., 2015. Social impact assessment of informal recycling of electronic ICT waste in Pakistan using UNEP SETAC guidelines. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 95, 46-57.
- Vanclay, F., 2003. International principles for social impact assessment. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. 21(1), 5-12.
- Vanclay, F., 2004. The triple bottom line and impact assessment: how do TBL, EIA, SIA, SEA and EMS relate to each other?. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management. 6(03), 265-288.
- Vanclay, F., 2012. The potential application of social impact assessment in integrated coastal zone management. Ocean & Coastal Management. 68, 149-156.
- Van Kleef, E., Frewer, L.J., Chryssochoidis, G.M., Houghton, J.R., Korzen-Bohr, S., Krystallis, T., Lassen, J., Pfenning, U. and Rowe, G., 2006. Perceptions of food risk management among key stakeholders: results from a cross-European study. Appetite. 47(1), 46-63.
- Voyer, M., Gladstone, W. and Goodall, H., 2012. Methods of social assessment in Marine Protected Area planning: Is public participation enough?. Marine Policy. 36(2), 432-439.
- Wan, C., Zhang, D., Yan, X. and Yang, Z., 2017. A novel model for the quantitative evaluation of green port developmentâA case study of major ports in China. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. 61, 431-443.
- Wang, T.S., 2014. Research on Green-Port Development of China. MSc. Thesis. Dalian Maritime University, Liaoning, China.
- Wanke, P. and FalcÃ£o, B.B., 2017. Cargo allocation in Brazilian ports: An analysis through fuzzy logic and social networks. Journal of Transport Geography. 60, 33-46.
- Winkelmans, W. and Notteboom, T., 2007. Port master planning: balancing stakeholders' interests. In The reality and dilemmas of Globalization, Gdansk, Poland.
- Wong, C.H. and Ho, W.C., 2015. Roles of social impact assessment practitioners. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 50, 124-133.