Document Type : علمی - پژوهشی
Department of Social Sciences, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Mazandaran, Babolsar.
Department of Social Sciences , Faculty Management and Accounting, University of Payam Noor, Tehran.
Faculty Management and Accounting, University of Payam Noor Tehran
Today the issue of waste management is one of the most crucial issues in the field of waste management of large cities. Lack of land for waste disposal and long-term remain of certain types of waste such as glass, plastic and metals, is leading to undesirable environmental effects as well as pollution of soil, water and air. Among the types of waste, household waste accounted a considerable amount of municipal waste and urban studies show that one of the solutions is household waste separated for waste management. Due to the growing volume of waste generated in Tehran and several problems caused the Tehran Municipality has tried to encourage citizens towards waste separation in recent years. This study aimed to investigate the role of training and knowledge in the management of residual household waste. The study area covered Region 8 of Tehran Municipality in 2015. To conduct this research, survey method were applied. The ample of this study was composed of 400 residents of over 15 years old who were living in the region and selected by utilizing quota-random sampling method and the required information was gathered through questionnaires. Analysis was conducted by using spss software. The results also showed that more than half of the respondents have been trained about waste separation. The average level of respondents’ knowledge was reported at high-level. Moreover, analytical results showed that statistically, there was a significant relationship between training and waste separation. Also the amount of training associated with waste separation. According to test correlation people knowledge about waste was associated with waste separation and its correlation was positive and direct. Variables of age, gender, education and income have showed no impact on the separation of waste. In general, the results of this study too empirical support the effect of training on waste separation behavior by citizens and also presented necessity of attention to other social and cultural factors. .In other words, factors training and improving knowledge can not lead to the separation of waste alone and should done a comprehensive study alongside with other factors influencing in the behavior of waste separation.
- Vining J, Ebreo A.What makes a recycler? A comparison of recyclers and Nonrecyclers .Environmental and Behavio Journal;1990; 22: 55-73.
- Gamba R, Oskamp S. Factors influencing community residents' participation in commingled curbside recycling programs. Environmental and Behavior; 1994; 28: 222-231.
- Kempton W, Boster J S, Hartley JA. Environmental values in american Culture,Cambridge. MA: The MIT Press; 1995.
- Kelly TC, Mason IC, Leiss MW, Ganesh S. university community responses to on compus resource recycling. Resources. Conservation & Recycling Journal; 2001; 47 (1): 42â55.
- Skumatz LA , Green J. Evaluating the impact of recycling education. Resource Recycling. August; 2001; 31-37.
- Schultz G. Examining the Effects of Recycling outreach on recycling behavior in Residence Halls at the University of California, Berkeley; 2002, http: //www.istsocrates.berkeley.edu. (Retrieved on 15 July 2005).
- Barr, S. Factors influencing environmental attitudes and behaviours- a UK case study of household waste management. Environment and Behavior Journal; 2007; 39(4): 435-473.
- Nguyen T Q. Understanding recycling and Recycling communication in university settings: A case study at the university of East Anglia. MA: Environmental Assessment and Management, University of East Anglia; 2011.
- Zhang N. Greening cademia: Developing sustainable waste management at UK higher educational institutions; University of Southampton; 2011; 31:1606-1616.
- Sunarto S,Bisri M, Suyadi S. Society behavior towards household waste management in Tulungagung. International Journal of applied sociology; 2014; 4(3): 67-73.
- Zhang D, Huang G, Yin X, Gong Q. Residentsâ waste separation behaviors at the source: Using SEM with the theory of planned behavior in Guangzhou, China. International journal of environmental research and public health; 2015; 12(8): 9475-9491.
- ÙAbedi S, Sabaghean Z, shah Ali, A A, Shamkhani A. Identify the impact of education on waste separation from the source in Tehran. Sixth National Conference and First international conference on waste management; 2010 April 21-22; Mashhad.[In Persion]
- Azizi A. Analysis of citizens' participation in waste management, case study 20 region. MA : Sociology, Payam Noor; 2011. [In Persion]
- Adhami A, Akbarzadeh E. cultural factors in environmen of preservation in Tehran, Case Study Tehran ragiones 5 and 18. Sociology Youth Studies Journal; 2010; 1(1): 62-37. [In Persion]
- Fatehnia AR. Source separation of municipal solid waste situation and Strategies to increase public participation in the Tehran Municipality, District 5, MA :Municipal health management. Tehran University of medical sciences; 2010.[In Persion]
- Salehi S, Hemmati Gouyomi Z. The role of environmental education in the electrical management waste. Environmental education and Sustainable development Journal; 2013; 1: 33-23. [In Persion]
- Gholami S, Emadzadeh MK, Peer Ali V. Factors affecting the behavior of recycle and Citizen participation in recycling programs, Case study: village Yase chae. The second national conference on environmental planning and management; 2013;2: 26-27. [In Persion]
- Farahmand M, Shokohifar K, sayar khalag Hamed. A study of social factor affecting environmental behavior of residents of the city of Yazd, Urban studies Journal; 2014; 4 (10) ; 109 - 141. [In Persion]
- Kharazmi O A, Valipour Erami M. Integrated management of municipal solid waste source separation with priority based on systems thinking, The case of the county of Sari. 5th urban planing and management conference; 2013 April 23-24;Mashhad. [In Persion]
- Aghayee Abianeh B. The effect of social factors on households waste behavior. MA: sociology, Tehran university; 2014.[In Persion]
- Akil A M , Ho C S. Towards sustainable solid waste management: Investigating household participation in solid waste management. In: IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science; 2014: IOP Publishing. P: 012163.
- Abdul Latif S, Shukri Omar M, Hussin Bidin Y, Awang Z. Role of environmental knowledge in creating pro-environmental residents. ProcediaSocialand behavioral sciences; 2013;105: 866- 874.
- L.Wright Y. Relating recycling: Demographics, Attitudes, Knowledge and Recycling behavior among UC Berkeley student; 2011. http://nature.berkeley.edu(accessed: Oct 21,2015).
- Afroz R, Kaisuke H, Rabban T. The roles of Socio-Economic factor on household waste generation; A study in a waste management programing Dhaka city Bangladesh. Environmental management Journal; 2011; 90: 492-503.
- De Feo Giovanni , De Gisi S. Public opinion and Awareness towards MSW and Separate collection programmes: A sociological procedure for selecting areas and Citizens with a low level of knowledge .Waste Management Jornal; 2010; 30(6):958â976.
- Omran, A, Mahmood A, AbdulAziz H, Robinson GM. Investigating households attitude toward recycling of solid waste in Malaysia: A Case study. International journal of environmental research; 2009; 3(2):275-288.
- Vicente P, Reis E. Factors influencing households participation in recycling. Waste management and Researc Journal; 2008; 26:140- 146.
- Kamara AJ. Household participation in domestic waste disposal and recycling in the Tshwane metropolitan area: an environmental education perspective. MA : Environmental Education, University of South Africa; 2006.
- Capra F. The hidden connections: Integrating the Biological, Cognitive, and Social Dimensions of life in to a science of sustainability. Harper Collins publishers, London.Inc.; 2002: 283-278.
- Kollmuss A , Agyeman J. Mind the Gap: Why do People Act Environmentally and What are the barriers to proenvironmental behavior? Environmental Education Research; 2002; 8(3): 239-260. Hines J M, Hungerford H R, Tomera AN. Analysis and Synthesis of research on responsible pro-environmental behavior: Mmetaanalysis. Environmental Education Journal; 1986; 18(2): 1-8.