Document Type : مقاله کوتاه
Faculty of Crop Sciences Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources University, Sari
Iranian Research Institute of Plant Protection, Tehran
In many cases environmental contamination with hazardous and harmful wastes is irreversible. Expired pesticides stockpiles in worldwide warehouses are considered as one of these types of wastes. Lack of attention to these warehouses makes the horrible effects to human’s health and environment. This study investigated the possibility of recycling the expired pesticide stockpiles of agricultural supportive services company. Quality control tests were performed according to the FAO, CIPAC and pesticide manufacturers' guidelines.The results were classified based on the date of production, type of formulation, quality control parameters and EC formulations manufacturers. Data were analyzed by Chi-Square test, in case of significance; the risk test was performed to determine the relative risk for the variables. Result showed a no-significant correlation between the time lagged after production of pesticides and percentage degradation of pesticides. The percent degradation of EC, SC, WP and SL formulation were 62%, 60%, 32% and 38 % respectively. Active ingredient in three formulations included EC, SL, WP and pH in SC formulation were unacceptable changes more than other the quality control parameters.Also, theresults showed that pesticides with EC formulations were produced in the country have more durability than Indian/Chinese.
- FAO, Basline study on the problem of obsolete pesticides stocks, FAO pesticide disposal, series 9, The Problem of Obsolete Pesticides, Rome, Italy, http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/X8639E/x8639e00.htm.pdf, (assessed: May 27, 2013).
- â Kreisler E, Heiss R. Managing expired pesticides as hazardous waste across borders. The Eighth International Conference on Environmental Compliance and Enforcement, Washington, DC; 2008.
- Mwandia A, Touni E. Obsolete pesticides in Africa-raising awareness of social and environmental implications. Article presented at the International Conference on Pesticide Use in Developing Countries, Environmental Fate, Effects and Public Health Implications, Tanzania; 2006.
- Rajput V.Toxicity effect of expired pesticides on Catla Catla of the Gaula Stream, India. Croatian Jurnal of Fisheries; 2012;70(4):187-196.
- Satyavani G, Gopi R A, Ayyappan S, Balakrishnamurthy P, Neelakanta P. Toxicity effect of expired pesticides to freshwater fish, Labeo Rohita. The Journal of Agriculture and Environment; 2011;12:1-9.
- BuczyÅska A, Szadkowska-StaÅczyk I. Identification of health hazards to rural population living near pesticide dump sites in Poland. International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health; 2005;18(4):331â9.
- CLI, obsolete stocks programme country report. Brussels; 2006.
- Curtis C, Olsen C P. The Africa stockpiles programme: cleaning up obsolete pesticides; contributing to a healthier future. industry and environment Journal; 2004;27:37â8.
- FAO, Guidelines for the management of small quantities of unwanted and obsolete pesticides. FAO pesticide disposal, series 7, Food and agriculture organization of United Nations, Rome, Italy, http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/obsolete_pesticides/docs/small_qties.pdf, (assessed: May 27 , 2013).
- Minh N H, Minh T B, Kajiwara N, Kunisue T, Subramanian A, Iwata H. Contamination by persistent organic pollutants in dumping sites of Asian developing countries: implication of emerging pollution sources. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology Journal; 2006;50:474â81.
- MisraV, Pandey S. Hazardous waste, impact on health and environment for development of better waste management strategies in future in India. Journal of Environment International; 2005;31:417â31.
- PAN-UK, Disposal of obsolete pesticides. Pesticides management notes; no.3. London, http://www.pan-uk.org/archive/Internat/IPMinDC/pmn3.pdf, (assessed: May 12, 2013)
- FAO, Pesticide storage and stock control manual. FAO pesticide disposal, series 3, The Problem of Obsolete Pesticides, Rome, Italy, http://www.fao.org/docrep/v8966e/v8966e00.htm.pdf, (assessed: May 27, 2013).
- Dasgupta S, Meisner C, Wheeler D. Stockpiles of obsolete pesticides and cleanup priorities: A methodology and application for Tunisia. Journal of Environmental Management; 2010;91(4):824-830.
- Abiye A, Hadera G. A report on POPs and other pesticides inventory in Ethiopia; POPs/NIP project. Addis Ababa: EPA/SEG; 2005.
- FNG, Ratification of the Stockholm convention on persistent organic pollutants. Proclamation no. 279, 8th year, no. 26. Addis Ababa: Ethiopia; 2002.
- Jacobs M, Dinham B. Pesticides, livelihoods and women's health. London: Zed books Ltd; 2003.
- Orris P, Chary L, Perry K, Asbury J. Persistent organic pollutants(POPs) and human health. New York: World federation of public health associations; 2000.
- UNEP, Stockholm convention on persistentorganic pollutants; 2001.
- Shah B P, Devkota B. Obsolete pesticides: their environmental and human health hazards. The Journal of Agriculture and Environment; 2009;10:60-66.
- WHO/UNEP, Public Health Impact of Pesticides Used in Agriculture. Publisher World Health Organization, Geneva, http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/39772.pdf, (assessed: November 4, 2013).
- FAO, Prevention of accumulation of obsolete pesticide stocks provisional guidelines. FAO pesticide disposal, series 2, The Problem of Obsolete Pesticides, Food and agriculture organization of United Nations, Rome, Italy, ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/v7460e/v7460e.pdf, (assessed: May 27 , 2013).
- Heidari A. Research Strategic Plan For Pesticides. IRIPP press; 2010. 271 pp. [In Persian]
- Fishel F. Temperature effects on storage of agricultural pesticides. Department of Agronomy, http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G1921.pdf, (assessed: June 11, 2013).
- Bhattacharyya A, Barik S R, Ganguly P. New pesticide molecules, formulation technology and uses: Present status and future challenges, The Journal of Plant Protection Sciences; 2009;1(1):9-15.
- Ferrer I, Barcelo D. Stability of pesticides stored on polymeric solid-phase extraction cartridges. Journal of Chromatography A; 1997;778(1â2):161â170.
- Huston P L, Pignatello J J. Degradation of selected pesticide active ingredients and commercial formulations in water by the photo-assisted Fenton reaction, The Journal of Water Research; 1999;33(5):1238â1246.