Document Type : Original Article
Natural Heritage Department, Research Institute of Cultural Heritage and Tourism, Tehran, Iran
Geopolitic Department, Geography Faculty, Payame Noor University, Tehran
Natural Heritage Department, Research Institute of Cultural Heritage and Tourism
Development planners and policymakers consider tourism activities as a key pillar for rural sustainable development. The purpose of this study was to investigate the potential of ecotourism development in Oramanat region with an emphasis on the Bayangan District, trying to answer what are the natural and cultural attractions and facilities available in the Bayangan area for tourism development. Considering the many tourist attractions in Oramanat region, especially the section of Bayangan with having diverse and attractive villages, it is possible to expand rural tourism as a new strategy in the field of rural development, creating new opportunities in rural areas such as job opportunities, reducing immigration, etc., flourish the rural areas, and removed these areas from isolation and deprivation.
Material and methods:
The methodology of the present study is descriptive-analytic (correlation). The data collection method was documentary-survey and the method of analysis was qualitative-quantitative. The statistical population included families living in the Bayangan District and tourists who came to this area from April to August 2018. Four hundred individuals were selected as statistical population using Morgan table and proportional stratified random sampling due to the uncertainty of the exact number of population. The survey method (descriptive and exploratory surveying method) was used for data collection and a questionnaire was used to collect the required information that was used to answer the research questions. Two researcher-made questionnaires were used, one for residents and the other for tourists. In the descriptive section, frequency table and percentage, mean and standard deviation were used and in terms of inferential statistics level, the Smirnov test was used to determine the normal distribution of variables. One-sample t-test was used to compare the means of the samples with the hypothetical mean. All statistical analyzes were performed using SPSS version 23.
Results and discussion:
According to the K-S test, all distributions were statistically normal, and the results of the one-sample t-test for the research hypotheses showed that the Bayangan section had significant natural and socio-cultural attractions. The current situation of tourism facilities and services in the Bayangan District is significantly poor. Peoples' acceptance of tourists is significantly good. The expansion of tourism in the Bayangan District will have positive socio-cultural, economic, and environmental effects. Finally, nine factors were identified as barriers to tourism development in the Bayangan District, the most significant obstacle of which was the "lack of standard accommodation and hotels at national and international level for tourist accommodation in the region".
According to the results of this study, natural and socio-cultural attractions are the most important tourism development potentials in the Bayangan District. It is suggested that the provincial tourism authorities consider these potentials in planning the region's tourism development plans and base their plans on ecotourism and socio-cultural tourism. In order to develop tourism in the study area, it is necessary to improve the status of tourism facilities and services. Lack of standard accommodation and national/international hotels is a major obstacle for tourism development in the Bayangan District, suggesting that the tourism authorities of the region establish modern and standard hotels and resorts for the accommodation of tourists.
- Aazami, M., Jalilian, S. and Hashemi Amin, N., 2015. Analyzing the socio-economic and environmental effects of rural tourism (case study: Navareh Village). 4(14), 154-174.
- Afshari Azad, S., Osmani, A. and Piri, S., 2014. Sustainable development and employment in rural tourism is a case study of Palangan fisheries. Geography of Tourism Space. 3(10), 121-146.
- Akbari Samani, N., Badri, A. and Salmani, M., 2011. Strategic planning for Rural Tourism using EFE and IFE assessment Matrix (Case study: Saman, Kurdistan, Shahre Kord). Rural Survey Quarterly. 13(12), 59-84.
- Ghazani, E., Bizhani, M. and Chizari, M., 2016. The role of social capital in community based ecotourism (CBET) development as perceived by rural people in Mazandaran Province. Iran Agricultural Extension and Education Journal. 12(1), 53-69.
- Ghazani, E., Bizhani, M. and Chizari, M., 2018. Analysis of the impacts of social capital on natural tourism development in the villages of targeting natural tourism in Mazandaran province. Journal of Space Economic and Rural Development. 7(26), 211-234.
- Holland. J., Burian. M. and Dixey. L., 2003. Tourism in poor rural areas. Diversifying the product and expanding the benefits in rural. Pro-Poor Tourism Partnership. PPT working paper 12, pp. 1-38.
- Imani, B., 2009. Tourism effects on rural development (case study: Sarein Spa rural district in Ardebil Province). MSc. Thesis, Tehran University, Iran.
- Jamepoor, M., 2000. Sustainable development process and participation act in the optimal management and utilization of natural resources. First Conference on Natural Resource-participate and development. Forests and Rangeland Organization Tehran. 20th ,February,2000
- Karami Dehkordi, M., Kalantari, K. and Khorasani, M.A., 2016. Qualitative assessment of rural tourism problems in Chaharmahal va Bakhtiari Province using grounded theory with an emphasis on Dimeh Village in Koohrang County. Tourism Planing and Development. 5(19), 175-198.
- Karim Panah, R., 2005. Ecotourism Analysis and its role on regional development in Kurdistan. M.A. Thesis. Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, Iran.
- Kobayashi, h. and Akhmad, A., 2011. Rural Tourism and Sustainable Development in Hokkaido. M.Sc. Thesis. Division of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Japan.
- Mahalati, S., 2001. An Introduction to Tourism. Shahid Beheshti University Publication, Tehran, Iran.
- Mahmoudi, Jalal., 2000. The tourism role on city and city life changes in Mahmoud Abad. M.A Thesis, Teacher training University, Iran.
- Mitchell, M. and Hall, D., 2005. Rural tourism as sustainable business: Key themes and issues. Journal of Rural Tourism and Sustainable Business. 17, 3-14.
- Motiee Langroudi, S.H. and Nosratti, M., 2010. Feasibility study on tourism development in rural areas from tourist point of view (Karganroud region, Talesh town). Geography Magazine, and Environmental Planning. 1, 84-69.
- Motiei Langeroudi, S.H., 2003. Rural planning focused on Iran, Mashhad. Jihad Daneshgahi Publication, Mashhad, Iran.
- Norouzifard, H. and Khorasani, M.A., 2016. Strategic planning for rural tourism development in rural areas of Izeh city, case study: Shivand Village. Geography and Urban-Regional Planning. 6(18), 119-134.
- Paveh Press Portal, 2018. Bayangan, A forgotten City in Uraman. Available online at: http:// www. Pavehpress.ir.
- Rahmani, B., Imani, B. and Nezam Mahalleh, M.A., 2010. The feasibility study on tourism development in rural regions (Abegarm Village in Sarein of Ardabil). Geography Quarterly. 15, 84-103.
- Reid, D.G., Mayer, H., George, W. and Taylor, J., 2001. Visiting Your Future: A Community Guide to Planning Rural Tourism. Guelph: OATI, Canada.
- Safari, R., 2009, Ecotourism and its impact on rural areas development, (case study Uraman Takht Village). M.A. Thesis, Social Faculty of Tehran University, Iran.
- Sanaie, M., 2007. The function of tourism in rural areas sustainable development. Ph.D. Thesis, Tehran University, Iran.
- Shalchian Rabee, N., 2016. The role of tourism in economic development, employment and deprivation in the coasts and islands of the Persian Gulf (Case study: Qeshm free zone). Persian Gulf Cultural and Political Studies. 8, 9-33.
- Sharif Zadeh, A. and Moradnejadi, H., 2002. Sustainable development and rural tourism. Jihad Socio-Economic Monthly Journal. 250-251, 52-63.
- Sharply Julia, Richard Sharply, 2008, rural Tourism, Translated by: Rahmatollah Monshi Zadeh and Fatemeh Nasiri, Tehran, Monshi Publication
- Sharply, J. and Sharply, R., 1997. Rural Tourism: An Introduction. International Tourism Business Press, London, pp. 165.
- Shokouie, H., 1996. New Ideas in Philosophy of Geography. Gitashenasi Publication, Tehran, Iran.
- Vosoughi Lang, S., Sarvar, R. and Ziviar, P., 2017. Codification of regional development planning strategies using SWOT model, a case study of Gilan Province. 7(3), 255-272.