Document Type : Original Article
Department of Geospatial Information Systems, Faculty of Geodesy & Geomatics Engineering, K.N. Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Noise pollution is one of the most important and growing pollutions in large cities. Measuring sound pollution is an essential step to control and manage its effects. Therefore in this research, zoning and modeling of noise pollution was carried out in one of the densely populated areas of Tehran, region 16. In this study, at first eight stations were selected to study area.
Material and methods:
At the next stage, 46 stations were selected in the studied area and the equivalent level of sound was measured for each station in three periods: in the morning, at noon and at night; and results were used to determine the level of sound pollution. In addition, one of pathways of transit network of area 16, i.e. Shahid Rajaei Highway was selected and noise intensity was measured at different intervals for zoning and modeling of noise pollution of that highway. Then, a model was proposed to predict the level of noise intensity at different distances from the highway. To verify the accuracy of the proposed model, another highway was investigated and a comparison test was performed between measured and predicted values.
Results and discussion:
The percentage error between predicted and measured values is very negligible and thus the proposed model can be used to evaluate the pollution of other highways. The results obtained from the main stage of this study revealed that the maximum average equivalent level of sound in highway is 83.5714 Db and highway side until 30 m is not suitable for residential use. The minimum average sound level allowed for residential areas is 58 db.
Other results of this study indicate that in all sound measurement stations in transit network, the mean measured equivalent level of sound is more than accepted standard in Iran. Due to high noise pollution in the area under study, the proposed solutions to control noise pollution are to use sound walls on highways and to create more green spaces in areas prone to pollution.
- Cai, M., Zou, J., Xie, J. and Ma,X., 2015. Road traffic noise mapping in Guangzhou using GIS and GPS. Applied Acoustics. Volume 87, January 2015, Pages 94â102.
- Fathi, S., Nasiri, P., Monazam Esmaeilpour, M., Moradi, R. and Razaghi, F., 2015. Study noise pollution in region 5 of tehran. Science and environmental technology. (In Persian).
- Gholami-zarchi, M., Khosravanian, L. and Shahmoradi, B., 2014. Noise pollution and its spatial distribution in urban environments (case study: Yazd, Iran). J Adv Environ Health Res 2014. 135-41.
- Hashemi, H., 2007. Noise pollution invisible hazard. Jame Jam news paper. (In Persian).
- Karimi, A., Nasiri, P., Abbaspour, M., Monazam, M. and Taghavi, L., 2012. study noise pollution situation in region 14 of tehran. Human and environmental Quarterly. Number 23. (In Persian).
- Kazem, M., Nahapetyan, V. and Maleafzali, H., 1999. Statistical Methods and Health Indices. Tehran. Salman Publication. (In Persian).
- Mehravaran, H., 2006. studying the equivalent level of sound in different urban areas is determination of critical points in terms of sound pollution with measurement and modeling. 7th Conference of Transport Engineering and Traffic in Iran. (In Persian).
- Mirtaheri, F., Samaei, Zh. and Kasmaei, Zh., 2014. monitor the status of noise pollution and assesment day and nighte on the shahid Hakim highway in tehran. Danesh-e-Entezami Quarterly. (In Persian).
- Moharam nejad, N. and Safaripour, M., 2008. impact of urban development on the process of noise pollution in region 1 of tehran and provide management solutions to improve conditions. Science and environmental technology. 10th period. (In Persian).
- Oyati, E.N. and Stephen, A.O., 2017. Assessment of Environmental Effects of Noise Pollution in Auchi, Nigeria. Applied Science Reports. Pages 100-104.
- Pramendra, D., 2011. Environmental Noise Pollution Monitoring and Impacts On Human Health in Dehradun City, Uttarakhand, India. Civil and Environmental Research. Pages 32-40.
- Rahimi, M. and Fakheran, S., 2013. zonation of the audio pollution of isfahan, using Geostatistics method. National Conference on Environment and Green Industry. (In Persian).
- Ranjbar, H., Gharagozlu, A., Vafaei nejad, A. and Deklujver, H., 2012. The Gis approach for 3D modeling of noise pollution using the city 's 3 D models (case study: part of 3 Tehran region). Journal of Environmental Studies. 38th year. (In Persian).
- Samadyar, H. and Samadyar, H., 2006. factors affecting the control of noise pollution caused by transportation in urban pathways. Second conference of air pollution and its effects on health. (In Persian).
- Saremi, m. and Rezapour, T., 2013. Non - auditory effects caused by environmental noise pollution. Journal of Kerman University of Medical Sciences. Pages 312-325. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Sayadi Anari, M. and Movafagh, A., 2014. Assesment Birjand sound pollution using Statistics techniques GIS. Journal of Environmental Studies. Second course. Pages 693-710. (In Persian).
- Soltani, s. and Narimousa, Z., 2015. Evaluation of Noise Pollution in Omidiyeh City, 2015. Journal of Health Research in Community, 12-20. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Subramani, T., Kavitha, M. and Sivaraj, K., 2012. Modelling Of Traffic Noise Pollution. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2248-9622.
- Yari, A., Dezhdar, B., Koohpaei, A., Ebrahimi, A., Mashkoori, A., Mohammadi, M. and Arsang, S., 2016. Evaluation of Traffic Noise Pollution and Control Solutions Offering: A Case Study in Qom, Iran. J ournal of Sabzevar U niversity of Medical Sciences. (In Persian with English abstract).