Document Type : Original Article
Soil and Water Research Department, Isfahan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center, AREEO, Isfahan, Iran
The increasing trend of water, soil and environmental degradation caused by the excessive use of chemicals material has encouraged researchers into organic farming in recent years. Despite all the positive effects associated with the consumption of municipal compost and sewage sludge on the physical and chemical properties of soils, there are still many concerns about environmental and health issues. Therefore, the aim of this study was to investigate the effect of accumulation of heavy elements in soil and plant by different amounts of organic fertilizers on municipal compost and sewage sludge in stable plots after 5 years.
Material and methods:
This research was carried out in stable plots (dimensions of each plot was 40 m2) at Ruddasht irrigation and drainage research station in Isfahan with four organic manure treatments including municipal compost and sewage sludge fertilizer with control in a randomized complete block design with three replications and five consecutive year. The treatments were: a) without the use of any organic fertilizers the experimental periods (control). B) treatment of 25 tons per hectare of municipal compost fertilizer. C-treatment of 50 tons per hectare of municipal compost fertilizer. D) Treatment of 15 tons per hectare of sewage sludge. E) Treatment of 30 tons per hectare of sewage sludge.
Results and discussion:
The results showed that organic fertilizer application increased soil organic matter. Also, the use of both types of organic fertilizers, especially at higher levels, caused a significant increase in phosphorus, potassium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc and lead in soil. The use of organic treatments had no effect on the increase of lead and cadmium in the soil in the first stage; however, the consumption of several consecutive years of municipal compost (treatment of 50 tons per hectare) increased the available lead in the soil, in the second stage. Application of organic fertilizers increased the macro (e. g. N, P, K) and micro nutrients (e. g. Fe, Zn, Mn and Cu) in the onion shoot. The highest amounts of nutrient elements was observed in treatment of 50 ton / ha municipal compost, in onion shoot. In most cases, there was no significant difference between 50 ton / ha municipal compost treatment and 30 ton / ha sewage sludge treatment. The concentration of these elements increased significantly with the use of organic fertilizers by five years. In the case of copper, this trend was reversed, and the rate of absorption of this element in the second stage was lower than that of the first stage due to the increase in the concentration of other elements such as phosphorus and the competition between the various elements in the absorption by the plant. Conversely, the rate of copper was reduced uptake in the second stage. This was due to increase of other elements concentrations, such as phosphorus, and the competition between different elements to be absorbed by the plant. The use of different fertilizer treatments in the first stage only increased the amount of zinc in the onion bulb, but in the second stage, as a result of several years of waste compost and sewage sludge consumption, the concentrations of nitrogen, potassium, copper, iron and zinc in the onion bulb increased significantly. The concentration of lead and cadmium in the plant was low in different treatments, which was not measurable by atomic absorption.
In general, municipal compost and sewage sludge, at the studied levels, increased soil organic matter and the concentration of nutrients in the plant, especially in terms of micronutrients such as zinc and iron.
- Ahmadinezhad, R. 2012. Integrated effect of organic fertilizers and nitrogen on nutrition, growth and yield of wheat (Triticum aestivum cv. Alvand). M.Sc. Thesis, University of Tabriz. 121 Pages. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Aisha, A.H., Rizk, F.A., Shaheen, A.M. and Abdel-Mouty, M.M. 2007. Onion plant growth, bulbs yield and its physical and chemical properties as affected by organic and natural fertilization. Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. 3(5), 380-388.
- Akoun, J. 2004. Effect of plant density and manure on the yield and yield components of the common onion (Allium cepa L.) var. nsukka red. Nigerian. Journal of Horticultural Science. 9, 43-48.
- Astaraei, A. 2006. Effect of municipal solid waste compost and vermicompost on yield and yield components of Plantago Ovata. Iran. Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 3, 180-187.
- Avis, T. J., Grave, V., Antoun, H. and Tweddell, R.J. 2008. Multifaceted beneficial effects of rhizosphere microorganisms on plant health and productivity. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 40, 1733-1740.
- Baran, A., Cayci, G., Kutak, C. and Hartmann, R. 2001. The effect of grape mare as growing medium on growth of hypotases plant. Bioresoar-Technol. 78, 103-106.
- Beigi, R. O. and Hejazi, M. 2004. Essential oil and composition of satureja hotrtensis of two different region. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants. 7(2), 66-68.
- Boorboori, M. R. and Tehrani, M. M. 2010. The effect interaction of amounts and methods applications of copper and zinc on plant and grain protein of wheat. Crop physiology. 2 (8),29-44. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Belhaj, D., Elloumi, N., Jerbi, B., Zouari, N., Ben, F., Ayadi, H. and Kallel, M. 2016. Effects of sewage sludge fertilizer on heavy metal accumulation and consequent responses of sunflower (Helianthus annuus). Environmental Science and Pollution Research, DOI 10.1007/s11356-016-7193-0
- Council on Soil Testing and Plant Analysis. Handbook on reference methods for soil testing. Council on Soil Testing and Plant Analysis, 1974.Athens, Greece.
- Crecchio, C., Curci, M., Pizzigallo, M., Ricciuti, P. and Ruggiero, P. 2004. Effects of municipal solid waste compost amendments on soil enzyme activities and bacterial genetic diversity. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 36, 1595â1605.
- Dauda, S.N., Ajayi, F.A. and Ndor, E. 2008. Growth and yield of water melon (Citrullus lanatus) as affected by poultry manure application. Journal of Agriculture and Social Science. 4, 121-124.
- Fathololomi, S., Asghari, Sh. and Goli Kalanpal, E. 2015. Effects of municipal sewage sludge on the concentration of macronutrients in soil and plant and some agronomic traits of wheat. Journal of Soil Management and Sustainable Production. 5(2), 49-70.
- Felipo, M.T. 1996. Compost as a source of organic matter in Mediterranean soils.P. 402-412. In: M. Bertoldi et al, (ed.) the science of composting. 1st ed. Part 1, Blakie Academic and Professional. Glasgow, UK.
- Garcia-Gil, J.C., Ceppi, S., Velasca, M., Polo, A. and Senesi, N. 2004. Longterm effects of amendment with municipal solid waste compost on the elemental and acid functional group composition and pH-buffer capacity of soil humic acid. Geoderma. 121, 135â142.
- Hargreaves, J.C., Adl, M.S. and Warman, P.R. 2008. A review of the use of composted municipal solid waste in agriculture. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 123(1-3), 1-14.
- He Q.B., and Singh B.R. 1993. Effect of organic matter on the distribution, extractability and uptake of Cd in
- soils. Journal of Soil Science. 44,641-650.
- Jahantigh, M. 2008. Impact of Recycled Wastewater Irrigation on Soil Chemical Properties in an Arid Region. Pakistanian Journal of Biological Sciences. 11 (18), 2264-2268.
- Jayathilake, P.K.S., Reddy, I.P., Srihari, D. and Reddy, K.R. 2006. Productivity and soil fertility status as influenced integrated use of N-fixing Biofertilizers, organic manures and inorganic fertilizers in onion. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2(1), 46-58.
- Jones, J. B. 2001. Laboratory guide for conduction soil tests and plant analysis. CRC Press, 256p.
- Malakouti, M. J., Bybordi, A. and Tabatabaee, S. J. 2004. Balanced fertilization of vegetable Crops. Vegetable and Summer Crops. Bureau-Agronomy. Department Ministry of Jihad- e âAgriculture. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Marschner, H. 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. Academic Press. New York. 890 Pages.
- Mollavali, M., Bolandnazar, S.A., and Tabatabaii, S.A. 2009. The effect of different amounts of ammonium nitrate and potassium sulfate on growth characteristics and yield of onion. Journal of Agricultural Science. 19-2, 221 -238. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Montemurro, F., Maiorana, M. and Ferri, D. 2006. Compost organic amendments in fodder crops: effects on yield, nitrogen utilization and soil characteristics. Compost Science and Utilization. 14 (2), 114â123.
- Moreira, R. S., Mincato, R. L. and Santos, B. R. 2013. Heavy metals availability and soil fertility after land application of sewage sludge on dystroferric red latosol. CiÃªncagrotec. 37(6), 512â520.
- Naeem, M., Iqbal, J. and Bakhsh, M.A.A. 2006. Comparative study of inorganic fertilizers and organic manures on yield and yield components of mungbean (Vigna radiate L.). Journal of Agriculture and Social Science. 2, 227-229.
- Najafi, N., Mardomi, S. and Oustan, S. 2013. The effect of waterlogging sewage sludge and manure on selected macronutrients and sodium uptake by sunflower plant in a loamy sand soil. Journal of Water and Soil, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad. 26(3), 619-636. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Najafi, N. and Mohammadnejad A. 2016. Differential Concentrations of some Nutrient Element in Forage of Corn (Zea mays L.) as Affected by Organic Fertilizers and Soil Compaction. Journal of crop ecophysiology. 9(4),561-582.
- Nazari, M.A., Shariatmadari, H., Afyuni, M., Mobli, M., and Rahili, Sh. 2006. Effect of industrial sewage sludge and effluents application on concentration of some elements and yield of wheat, barley and corn. Journal Of Science And Technology Of Agriculture And Natural Resources. 10(3), 97-111. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Obi, M.E., and Ebo, P.O. 1995. The Effects of organic and inorganic amendments on soil physical properties and Maize production in a sandy soil on Southern Nigeria. Bioresource Technology. 51, 117-123.
- Perucci, P. 1990. Effect of the addition of municipal soild-waste compost on microbial biomass and enzyme activities in soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils.10, 221â226.
- Rion, B. and Alloway, J. 2004. Fundamental aspects of Zinc in soils and plants. International Zinc.
- Rusan, M. J., Hinnawi, S. and Rousan, L. 2007. Long term effect of wastewater irrigation of forage crops on soil and plant quality parameters. Desalination. 215, 143-152.
- Saadat, K., Barani Motlagh, M., Dordipour, E. and Ghasemnezhad, A. 2012. Influence of sewage sludge on some soil properties, yield and concentration of lead and cadmium in roots and shoots of Maize. Journal of Soil Management and Sustainable Production. 2(2), 27-48. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Selvakumari, G., R. Santhi, R. Natesan, and K. Sathyabama. 2001. Soil test and vegetable crop response under integrated plant nutrition system for optimization of fertilizer doses. South Indian Horticulture. 49, 130-136
- Shaheen, A., M. Fatma, A. Rizk, and Singer, S.M. 2007. Growing onion plants without chemical fertilization. Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. 3(2), 95-104.
- Shakarami, M., Marufi, S., Rahimi, Gh. And Dashti, F. 2015. Effect of sewage and compost on the transfer of some heavy metals in soil profiles. Journal of Water Research in Agriculture. 29(1), 75-86. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Shuman, L. M. 1999. Effect of organic waste amendments on zinc adsorption by two soils. Soil Science. 164, 197-205.
- Sims J.T. and Kline J.S. 1991. Chemical fractionation and plant uptake of heavy metal in soil amended sewage sludge. J. Environ. Qual. 20, 387-395.
- Soumare, M., Tack, F., and Verloo, M. 2003. Characterisation of Malian and Belgian solid waste composts with respect to fertility and suitability for land application. Waste Management. 23, 517â522.
- Tamrabet, L., Bouzerzour, H., Makhlouf, K. and Makhlouf, M. 2009. The effect of sewage sludge application o Dorum Wheat. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology. 11, 741-745.
- Tiruneh, T. A., Amos., Fadiran, O. and Joseph, S. 2014. Evaluation of the risk of heavy metals in sewage sludge intended for agricultural application in Swaziland. International journal of environmental sciences. 5(1).
- Vaca, R., Lugo, J., Martinez, R., Esteller, M. V. and Zavaleta, H. 2011. Effects of sewage sludge and sewage sludge compost amendment on soil properties and Zea mays L. plants (Heavy metals, quality and productivity). Revista internacional de contaminacion ambiental. 27(4), 303-311.
- Vaseghi, S., Afyuni, M., Shariatmadari, H. and Mobli, M. 2005. Effect of sewage sludge on some macronutrients concentration and soil chemical properties. Journal of Water and Waste Water. 16(53), 15-22. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Yoldas, F., S. Ceylan, N. Mordogan, and B.C. Esetlili. 2011. Effect of organic and inorganic fertilizers on yield and mineral content of onion (Allium cepa L.). African Journal of Biotechnology. 10(55), 11488-11492