Document Type : Original Article
Department of Fisheries, Faculty of Agriculture Sciences and Natural Resources, Gonbad Kavous University, Gonbad Kavous, Iran
With the increase in population and more demand for agricultural and aquaculture activities the importance of water resource quality and quantity have increased and consequently surface water resources are faced with pollution more than other water resources. Generalizing point measurements of water quality characteristics to maps is of special significance in most water resources studies. Interpolation techniques may be used to estimate unknown parameter values. The aim of this study is to use the best interpolation method for water quality assessment of Zarin Gol River and the effect of different human activities.
Materials and methods:
For this purpose, samples were collected from 12 study stations in winter and spring of 2016. Then, the spatial variations of physical and chemical parameters of surface water were determined including DO, NO3, PO4, Turbidity, pH and TSS and Hilsenhoff index (water quality index) using interpolation functions based on cross validation technique (lowest value of RMSE, highest value of R2 and lowest close to zero values of spatial data MBE and MAE) of deterministic and geostatistical methods in GIS environment.
Results and discussion:
The result showed that for all the studied parameters, kriging method was suitable compared to IDW and was selected for mapping. The result of modelling showed that the maximum value of Helsenhoff index was observed in stations 2 and 10 (5.31 and 5.2 respectively) in winter season with the relatively weak class in terms of water quality. The result of indices showed that stations were located after fish farm more pollution than their before stations and away from the farms have had the self-purification process.
Investigation of special variations of environmental characteristics of water showed that increasing physical and chemical parameters of surface water along the river including wastewater discharge of villages, fish farms and agricultural activities have direct impact on water quality and pollution level increases and water quality decreases from up to down the river.
- Afshin, Y., 1984. The Rivers of Iran. Publication of Power Ministration, Iran. P.575.
- Allan, J.D., 1995. Stream Ecology: Structure and Function of Running Waters. Chapman and Hall, New York, p. 388.
- Blanchet, H., Lavesque, N., Ruellet, T., Dauvin, J.C., Sauriau, P.G., Desroy, N. and De Montaudouin, X., 2008. Use of biotic indices in semi-enclosed coastal ecosystems and transitional waters habitats implications for the implementation of the European water framework directive. Ecological Indicators. 8(4), 360-372.
- Bollinger, J.E., Steinberg, L.J., Harrison, M.J., Crews, J.P., Englande, A.J. and Velasco Gonzalez. C., 1999. Comparative analysis of nutrient data in the lower Mississippi River. Water Resource. 33, 2627-2632.
- Cheng, k., Lei, T.Ch. and Yah, H.Ch., 1998. Reservoir water quality monitoring using Landsat TM images and indicator kriging. Agricultural Engineering Department, National Taiwan University. pp. 41- 47.
- Ebrahimnejad, M., 2005. Structure and Function of Running Waters and River Ecology. University of Esfahan Press, Esfahan, Iran.
- Enrique, S., Manuel, F.C., Juan, V., Angel, R., MarÄ±, G.G. and Lissette, T., 2007. Use of the water quality index and dissolved oxygen deficit as simple indicators of watersheds pollution. Ecological Indicators. 7, 315-328.
- Fetouani, S., Sbaa, M., Vanclooster, M. and Bendra, B., 2008. Assessing groundwater quality in the irrigated plain of Triffa (Nnorth-east Morocco). Journal of Agricultural Water Management. 95, 133-142.
- Goovaerts, P., 2000. Geostatistical approaches for incorporating elevation into the spatial interpolation of rainfall. Journal of Hydrology. 228, 113- 129.
- Hilsenhoff, W.L., 1977. Use of arthropods to evaluate water quality of streams. Technical Bulletin. No.100 Madison, WI: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. P.15.
- Hilsenhoff, W.L., 1988. Rapid field assessment of organic pollution with a family-level biotic index. Journal of the North American Benthological Society. 7, 65â68.
- Kibena, J., Nhapi, I. and Gumindoga, W., 2014. Assessing the relationship between water quality parameters and changes in landuse patterns in the Upper Manyame River, Zimbabwe. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. 67, 153-163.
- Maghami, Y., Ghazavi, R., Vali, A. and Sgarghi, S., 2011. Evaluation of spatial interpolation methods for water quality zoning using GIS Case study, Abadeh Township. Geography and Environmental Planning. 42, 171- 182. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Mehrjerdi, R., Zareian, M., Mahmodi, Sh. and Heidari, A., 2008. Spatial distribution of groundwater quality with geostatistics (Case study: Yazd-Ardakan plain). World Applied Science Journal. 4(1), 9-17.
- Mohammadi, J., 2001. Review on Fundamentals of Geostatistics and its application to soil science. Journal of Water and Soil Science. 15(2), 99-121.
- Mohd, I., Mansor, M.A., Awaluddin, M.R.A., Nasir, M.F.M., Samsudin, M.S., Juahir, H. and Ramli, N., 2011. Pattern recognition of Kedah River water quality data by implementation of principal component analysis. World Applied Sciences. 14, 66-72.
- Naderi Jelodar, M., Esmaeili Sari, A., Ahmadi, M.R., Seifabadi, S.J. and Abdoli, A., 2007. The effect of Trout farm effluents on the water quality parameters of Haraz River. Journal Environmental Sciences. 4 (2), 21-36. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Naubi, N.H., Zardari, S.M., Shirazi, N.F.B. and Ibrahim, L., 2016. Effectiveness of Water Quality Index for Monitoring Malaysian River Water Quality. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 25 (1), 231â239.
- Power Ministration, 1991. Primary Studies on Artificial Feeding in Garmabdasht River, Zarrin-Gol (2t11). Hydrologic Study. Golestan province, Iran. P.68.
- Renji, R. and Panda, P.K., 2007. Groundwater Quality Mapping Using GIS: A Study from India Kapgeri Watershed. Journal of Environmental Quality Management. 16, 41-60.
- Samadi, M.T., Saghi, M.H., Rahmani, A.R., Torabzadeh, H. and Beig, M., 2009. River Valley of Hamedan Water Quality Zoning using Geographic Information System (GIS). Scientific Journal of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences. 16(3), 38-43. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Samadi, J., 2016. Spatial-temporal modeling of groundwater level variations of urban and rural areas in Kashan aquifer using GIS techniques. Science and Environmental Technology. 18(2), 63-77. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Sanches, F., 2001. Mapping groundwater quality variables using PCA and geostatistics: a case study of Bajo Andarax, southeastern Spain. Hydrological Sciences-Journal-des Sciences Hydrologiques. 46(2), 227-242.
- Shabani, M., 2009. Determination of the most suitable geostatistical method for mapping of groundwater pH and TDS (A case study: Arsanjan plain). Journal of Water Engineering. 1, 47-59.
- Shariaty, M.B. and Shahidy poor, S.M.M., 2006. Analysis of Water Resources Systems. University of Mashhad Press, Mashhad, Iran.
- Sharma, S., 1999. Water Quality Status of the Saptakosi River and its Tributaries in Nepal: A Biological Approach. Nepal Journal of Science and Technology. 1, 103-114.
- Siska, P.P. and Hung, I.K., 2001. Assessment of kriging accuracy in GIS environment. In Proceedings of the 21st Annual ESRI International User Conference, San Diego, California, USA, p.110.