Document Type : Original Article
Department of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management, Institute of Environmental Sciences Research, Shahid Beheshti University, G. C., Tehran, Iran
Department of Marine Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences and Technologies, Shahid Beheshti University, G. C, Tehran, Iran
Marine Environmental Office, Provincial Office of Environment of Khuzestan, Ahvaz, Iran
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Biological Sciences and Technologies, Shahid Beheshti University, G. C., Tehran, Iran
Invasive fishes are a major threat to biodiversity of aquatic ecosystems. Tilapia species are invasive due to reproductive, diet and behavioral characteristics and high resistance to environmental conditions, pollution and diseases. So far, two exotic species Coptodon zillii and Oreochromis aureus and also a native species Iranocichla hormuzensis of these species were reported from Iran. In recent years, exotic tilapia species invaded Iran and its neighboring countries inland waters and have had significant ecological and economic impacts. The aim of this study is to do a preliminary survey on the status of exotic tilapia species in Khuzestan province, Iran.
Material and methods:
The present study was carried out from November 2014 to September 2015 to determine the abundance of tilapia species (C. zillii and O. aureus) in the Shadegan wetland and some local fishery markets in Khuzestan province. In addition to, we evaluated presence or absence of the species in some cyprinid fish farms in the province.
Results and discussion:
The results showed that the catchment and supply of C. zillii is high and the species is one of the dominated fish in the Shadegan Wetland. In this study, O. aureus was not caught from the Shadegan wetland but observations show that the species is dispersed to other areas, especially in rivers and its abundance is increased. The tilapia species especially C. zillii are pests in some fish farms and the reduction of fish production was noted. The presence of the species in some fish hatcheries is increased the possibility of their transfer to other regions.
At the moment, it seems that the best course of action to take action against tilapia is to prevent them from entering to other bodies of water (especially by aquaculture). The continuous studies to determine various aspects of the introductions, potential range prediction, and regular monitoring should be also considered. Overall, a compilation method and also ecologically sustainable water management, reduction of water contaminants and decrease of fishing pressure on native species should be adopted for controlling and reducing of these species.
- Abdoli, A., 2000. The inland water fishes of Iran. Iranian Museum of Nature and Wildlife, Tehran, Iran. [In Persian with English abstract]
- Abdoli, A., Kiabi, B.H., Valikhani, H., Nejat, F., 2016. Final report of Survey on the Status of the Invasive Alien Redbelly Tilapia (Tilapia zillii, Gervais 1848) in Khuzestan Province. Environmental Sciences Research Institute. Tehran, Iran. [In Persian]
- Al-Faisal, A.J. and Mutlak, F., 2014. First record of the Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1758), from the Shatt Al-Arab River, Southern Iraq. Mesopotamian Journal of Marine Science. 29(1), 45-50.
- Altun, T., Tekelioglu, N., Danadas, D., 2006. Tilapia culture and its problems in Turkey. Journal of fish and Aquatic Science. 23(3-4), 473-478.
- Al-Zaidy, K.J., 2013. First record of Tilapia zillii (Gervais, 1848) in Al-Delmj marsh west Al-Diwania city middle of Iraq. Diyala Agricultural Sciences Journal. 5, 9-16.
- Chervinski, J. and Hering, E., 1973. Tilapia zillii (Gervais) (Pisces, Cichlidae) and its adaptability to various saline conditions. Aquaculture. 2, 23-29.
- Coad, B.W., 1982. A new genus and species of cichlid endemic to southern Iran. Copeia. 1, 28-37.
- Coad, B.W., 2016. Personal website. Available online at:http://www.briancoad.com/Species%20A
- ccounts/Cobitidae%20to%20Cyprinodontidae.htm (Revised: 06 May 2016).
- Crutchfield, Jr, J.U., 1995. Establishment and expansion of redbelly tilapia and blue tilapia in a power plant cooling reservoir. American Fisheries Society Symposium. 15, 452-461.
- Crutchfield, Jr, J.U., Schiller, D.H., Herlong, D.D., Mallin, M.A., 1992. Establishment and impact of redbelly tilapia in a vegetated cooling reservoir. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management. 30, 28-35.
- Dadebo, E., Kebtineh, N., Sorsa, S., Balkew, K., 2014. Food and feeding habits of the red-belly tilapia (Tilapia zillii Gervais, 1848) (Pisces: Cichlidae) in Lake Ziway, Ethiopia. Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 3(1), 17-23.
- Fishelson, L., 1966. Cichlidae of the genus Tilapia in Israel. Bamidgeh. 18(3/4), 67-88.
- Hashemi, S.A. and Ansary, H., 2012. Biomass and production of fish species in the Shadegan wetland, Iran. Global Veterinaria. 9(2), 123-128.
- Hashemi, S.A., Eskandary, G., Ansary, H., Yooneszadeh, M., 2011. Stock assessment and production of fish species in the Shadegan Wetland, Iran. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences. 3(6), 502-508.
- Hashemi, S.A., Ghorbani, R., Kymaram, F., Hossini, S.A., Eskandari, G., Hedayati, A., 2014. Estimation of fish composition and catchability coefficient of gillnet in the Shadegan Wetland. Iranian Journal of Ichthyology. 1(1), 51-60.
- بررسی وضعیت ماهیان غیربومی مهاجم تیلاپیا...
- فصلنامه علوم محیطی، دوره پانزدهم، شماره 4، زمستان 9316
- Hashemi, S.A., Ghorbani, R., Kymaram, F., Hossini, S.A., Eskandari, G., Hedayati, A., 2015. Fish Species Composition, Distribution and Abundance in Shadegan Wetland. Fisheries and Aquaculture Journal. 6, 128.
- Hauser, W., 1975. Can Tilapia replace herbicides. Cal-Neva Wildlife Transactions. 6, 44-50.
- Innal, D., Erk’akan, F., 2006. Effects of exotic and translocated fish species in the inland waters of Turkey. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries. 16(1), 39-50.
- Job, T.J., 1967. Status of fish culture in the Near East region, In: Pillay TVR, editor. Proceedings of the FAO World Symposium on Warm-Water Pond Fish Culture. Fisheries Report. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization, pp. 54-69.
- Khaefi, R., Esmaeili, H.R., Zareian, H., Babaei, S., 2014. The first record of the redbelly tilapia, Tilapia zillii (Gervais, 1848), in freshwaters of Iran. Turkish Journal of Zoology. 38, 96-98.
- Khosravi, M., 2017. A survey on the biological characterization of crucian carps (Genus: Carassius) in the inland waters of Iran. MSc Thesis. Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran. [In Persian with English abstract]
- Kuru, M., YERLİ, S.V., Mangit, F., Ünlü, E., Alp, A., 2014. Fish Biodiversity in Inland Waters of Turkey. Journal of Academic Documents for Fisheries and Aquaculture. 1(3), 93-120.
- Lockwood, J.L., Hoopes, M.F., Marchetti, M.P., 2007. Invasion ecology. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.
- Marammazi, J.Gh., 1997. Fish stock assessment in Shadegan Wetland, South of Iran aquaculture fishery research center, Ahwaz, Iran. [In Persian]
- Mutlak, F.M., Al-Faisal, A.J., 2009. A new record of two exotic cichlids fish Oreochromis aureus (Steindachner, 1864) and Tilapia zillii (Gervais, 1848) from south of the main outfall drain in Basrah city. Mesopotamian Journal of Marine Science. 24, 160-170. [In Arabic with English abstract]
- Naylor, R.L., Williams, S.L., Strong, D.R., 2001. Aquaculture--A gateway for exotic species. Science. 294(5547), 1655-1656.
- Negassa, A. and Padanillay, C., 2008. Abundance, food habits, and breeding season of exotic Tilapia zillii and native Oreochromis niloticus fish species in Lake Ziway, Ethiopia. Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology. 2, 345-359.
- Philippart, J.C. and Ruwet, J.C., 1982. Ecology and distribution of tilapias, pp. 15-59. In R.S.V. Pullin and R.H. Lowe-McConnell (eds.). The biology and culture of tilapias. ICLARM Conference Proceedings 7, 432 p. International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management, Manila, Philippines.
- Roozbehfar, R., Dehestani-Esfandabadi, M., Roozbehfar, S., 2014. First record of the redbelly tilapia, (Tilapia zillii Gervais, 1848), in Iran. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 1-2
- Valikhani, H., 2016. A survey on the Status of the Invasive Alien Redbelly Tilapia (Coptodon zillii, Gervais 1848) in Khuzestan Province, Iran. MSc Thesis. Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran. [In Persian with English abstract]
- Valikhani, H., Abdoli, A., Kiabi, B.H., Nejat, F., 2016. First record and distribution of the blue tilapia, Oreochromis aureus (Steindachner, 1864) (Perciformes: Cichlidae) in inland waters of Iran. Iranian Journal of Ichthyology. 3(1), 19-24.
- Welcomme, R.L., 1992. A history of international introductions of inland aquatic species. In ICES Marine Science Symposium. 194(1), 3-14.