Document Type : Original Article
Department of Water, Wastewater and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Water and Environmental Engineering, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Environmental Technologies, Environmental Sciences Research Institute, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Environmental Economics, Environmental Sciences Research Institute, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Liner is one of the most important components of waste landfills, which its main function is to limit the penetration of leachate caused by the waste from landfill base. Since the cost of a lining system is a significant part of landfill’s total cost, therefore, it is necessary to design the compacted clay liner with environmental and economic considerations in the same way, which requires identification of factors affecting the construction cost of clay liner.
Materials and methods:
For this purpose, using the performance-based approach, the factors affecting the technical design and hydraulic performance of clay liners in preventing leachate leakage, four variables include of trench height, trench lifespan, land price and distance from the soil loanl, have been identified as the variables affecting the cost of clay liner construction. Using the HYDRUS one-dimensional model, the appropriate liner thickness was determined in the scenarios of 30, 60,180,360,720 and 1080 days for the trench lifespan. Then by defining design scenarios based on the effective variables, the cost of different parts is estimated.
Results and discussion:
Investigating the cost variations shows that increasing the height of the trench in different parts leads to lower costs of construction.While changes in the cost of liner construction over the lifespan of the trench first had a downward trend and then incremental pattern.The variations in total cost is affected by land cost variations and indicates the importance of land prices in assessing the overall costs of constructing the liner. Also an increase in the distance from the loan increases the cost of liner construction significantly, and if the suitable soil for lining to be located more than 100 km from the site, then the use of Geosynthetic clay liners is more cost-effective. The trench life time as a variable with less design constraint, can be considered depending on the cost of other parts.
Investigating costs in different parts of compacted clay liner construction shows the necessity of economic modeling and creation of cost functions for optimal design of compacted clay liners in every area.
- Abdoli, M.A. and Jalili Ghazizade, M., 2007. Investigation of compacted clayey liner proficiency for natural removal of generated leachate pollutants in municipal solid waste landfill (case study: Kahrizak landfill), Environmental science and technology. 11(1),71-76 (In Persian with English abstract).
- Badv, K. and Khalili, A., 2010. Cheking design criteria for solid waste landfill elements in the country, 4th Environmental Engineering Conference, Tehran, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
- Badv, K. and Dehghanian, K., 2008. Equivalent the use of clay liner or clay-geosynthetic liner in engineering waste landfills, 7th Iranian Hydraulic Conference, Hydraulic Society, Water and Power Industry University, Tehran, Iran
- Badv, K. and Saadabadi, F., 2007. Study of the parameters governing the movement of contaminant to groundwater in various landfill options, 6th Iranian Hydraulic Conference, Shahrekord University, Shahrekord, Iran.
- Bagchi, A., 1994. Design, Construction, and Monitoring of Landfills, second Edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Benson, C.H. and Trast, J.M., 1995. Hydraulic Conductivity of Thirteen Compacted Clays, Clays and Clay Minerals. 43(6), 669-681.
- Chi Lo, I.M., 1996. Optimization in thickness of a liner composed of claymax and organo-clay, Water Science and Technology. 34, 421â427.
- Jalili Ghazizade, M., 2012. Hydraulic performance of liner in contrast to leachate in municipal waste landfill (For arid and semi-arid climate), Ph.D. Thesis. University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
- Jalili Ghazizade, M., Abdoli, M. A. and Safari, E., 2009. Investigation of Clay Liner Permeability Changes Subject to Municipal Waste Leachate (Case Study: Kahrizak Landfill), Journal of Ecology. 36(54), 35-42. (In Persian with English abstract)
- Mathur, S. and Jayawardena, L.P., 2008. Thickness of Compacted Natural Clay Barriers in MSW Landfills, Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, Volume 12, Issue 1.
- Rowe, R. K., Quigley, R. M. and Booker, J. R., 1995. Clayey Barrier Systems for Waste Disposal Facilities, E & FN Spoon.
- Safari, E., Jalili Ghazizade, M. and Abdoli, M.A., 2012. A performance-based method for calculating the design thickness of compacted clay liners exposed to high strength leachate under simulated landfill conditions, Waste Management & Research. 30, pp. 898â907.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA)., 1993. QA-QC for waste containment facilities, Report No. EPA/600/R-93/182.
- Workman, J.P. and Keeble, R.L., 1989. Design and Construction of Liner Systems, Sanitary Landfilling: Process, Technology and Environment Impact, Academic Press, New York, pp. 301-309.