Document Type : Original Article
Domestic Commerce Group - Institute for Trade Studies and Research, Ministry of Industry-Mine-Trade. Tehran-Iran
Department of Resource and Environmental Economics, Research Institute of Environmental Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran-Iran
Policies and plans for water resources management, especially in the agricultural sector, are aimed at achieving goals such as increasing the level of self-sufficiency, reducing gaps in food, reducing crop cultivation and maximizing the economic value of irrigation water. The main objective of this research is to reduce macroeconomic objectives in the agricultural sector, reducing the food security gap (in the field of garden products) with an emphasis on optimizing water use in the agricultural sector.
Materials and methods:
In pursuit of this goal, the goal of maximizing the economic value of water has been used to determine the optimal level of cropping of major crops in the country and to reduce the gap between supply and demand. The methodology used in this study is a linear mathematical programming model. Required data were collected through the databases of the Agricultural Jihad Organization and the relevant departments in the relevant areas.
Result and discussion:
The results of the research show that, suggested cropping pattern increases the economic value of water by 20%, and the level of crops such as dates, apples, citrus, grapes and pistachios increases. Changing the cropping area of major crops in some areas, such as Khorasan, Central, Central Zagros and Khuzestan, has reduced net profit, but generally increased net yield by 19 percent, and most importantly, the amount of water saved in the whole area is equivalent to the cultivar About 6869768 thousand cubic meter.
The results showed that considering the economic value of water in each area, instead of using a steady state value, an effective and effective cropping pattern is necessary. The proposed cropping pattern reduces the nutrient gaps and cropping water levels and saves water consumption, which, while providing a land for allocating this amount of water to the cultivation of strategic products, can have a positive effect on the sustainability of water resources In each area.
- Abonouri, E., Mohammadi, H. and Norouzi Nejad, M., 2011. The estimated economic value of water in agriculture, Hedonic methods (Study city of Sabzevar). Journal of Agricultural Economics. 5(2), 21-57. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Amir Teimouri, S. and Bagherzadeh, A., 2008. The place of water in agriculture of Iran and its pricing. 3rd International Conference on Water Resources Management, 14-16 October, Tabriz, Iran;pp. 352-361. (In Persian)
- Aref , Sh., 2007. The economic value of Mill Dam Magi due to optimum cropping pattern. MS.c.Thesis. Tehran University, Tehran, Iran.
- Azadegan, E., Rastegari Poor, F. and Sabouhi, M., 2014. Determining planning applications using fuzzy Dvnva crops Sabzevar city. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development; 2014;8-15(1). (In Persian)
- Aylward, B., Seely, H., Hartwell, R. and Dengel J.,2010. The Economic Value of Water for Agricultural, Domestic and Industrial Uses: A Global Compilation of Economic Studies and Market Prices. prepared for UN FAO.
- Baharmi, F. 2017. Modelin the virtual water trade in Iran agriculture sector. Ph.D. Thesis.Zabol Universi-ty,Zabol,Iran.
- Bahrami, F., Keikha A., Sabouhi M.,and Ahmadpour M. Decision Support System for Economic Value of Irrigation Water With Reducing the Food Gap in Agro-Ecological Zones. Journal of Agricultural Eco-nomics and Development.30(4);345-359.(in persian)
- Chizari, A. H., Sharzehi, Gh., Keramatzadeh, E.2006. The determination of economic value with an ide-al planning approach (Case Study: Barzoo Shirvan dam). Journal of Economic Research. (4)40;39-76. [In Persian]
- Dehghanpour, H. and Sheikh Zeindin, A. 2013. The determination of economic value of agriculture in the plain of Yazd-Ardakan, Yazd region. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development. 21(82).45-68.[In Persian]
- Doppler, W., Salman, AZ., Al-Karablieh, E.K. and Wolf, H.P. 2002. The impact of water price strategies on the allocation of irrigation water: the case of the Jordan Valley. Agricultural Water Manage-ment.76 (55): 171-182.
- El-Gafy, I.K. 2014. Decision support system to maximize economic value of irrigation water at the Egyp-tian governorates meanwhile reducing the national food gap.Water Scince,
- Fallahi, A.and Khalilian, S. 2009. The comparing the importance of petroleum products and electricity with other factors of production in the agricultural sector of Iran, Journal of Agricultural Economics.1(2); 1-19:(2)1. [In Persian]
- Food Balance Sheet Islamic Republic of Iran, 2013
- Keramatzadeh, E., Chizari, E. and, Mirzaei A., 2006. Agricultural economic value with optimal crop pat-tern model of combining agriculture and horticulture study Barzoo Shirvan dam. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development. 54(5);35-60.[In Persian]
- Mansouri, M. and Gheasi, E., 2002. The estimation of cost of agricultural water dams with engineering economics approach, case study dams Bukan, Mahabad in West Azerbaijan and Baron, Journal of Ag-ricultural Economics and Development.37(10);171-192. [In Persian]
- Maler,A., 2009. Strategy of Agricultural Development in Egypt until 2030. Ministry of Agricultural and Land Reclamation, 14-16 September. Cairo, Egypt.
- Mesa- Jurado, M.A., Martin- Ortega, J., Ruto, E. and Berbel, J., 2012. The economic value of guaranteed water supply for irrigation under scarcity conditions, Agricultural Water Management, 113(3): 10-18.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Agricultural statistics, agricultural products,2014.
- Misra, A.k.,2014. Climate change and challenges of water and food security. Sustainable Built Envi-ronment.3(1), 1-12.
- Molle F., Venot J.P., and Youssef Hassan A. 2008. Irrigation in the Jordan Valley: Are water pricing poli-cies overly optimistic? Agricultural Water Management,95: 427-438.
- MWRI. 2012. Agricultural Sector Model of Egypt (ASME). 2011. Version at Governorate Level with 2007 Database and Update Instructions. Ministryof Water Resources and Irrigation â Planning Sec-tor, National Water Resources Plan, Coordination Project (NWRP-CP).
- Office of Water Utilization and Water Protection Systems.2015
- Parhizkari A, Sabouhi M. Simulate the response of farmers to reduce irrigation water available policy. Water and Irrigation, 2014;59-74(2)3.[In Persian]
- Parhizkari, A.,2013. Determining the economic value of irrigation water and the farmers' responses to price and non policies in the area of Qazvin. MS.c.Thesis .University of Zabol.Zabol.Iran.
- Parhizkari, A. Sabouhi, M. and Zeiaei, S. 2014. Water market share of irrigation water policy simulation and analysis of impacts on crops under drought conditions. Agricultural Economics and Develop-ment,27(3);1-12. [In Persian].
- Riazi, H. and Montazer, E. 2016. Development and application of surface and underground water re-sources allocation model Qazvin Plain Irrigation Network. The second National Conference irrigation and drainage networks. Sanati Sharif University. 23-25August.[In Persian]
- Sabouhi, M.and Parhizkari, A.2013. Analysis of economic and welfare impacts of irrigation water mar-ket in the area of Qazvin. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development.27(4);338-35. [In Persian]
- Rigby, D., Alcon, F. and Burtons, M. 2010. Supply uncertainty and the economic value of irrigation wa-ter, European Review of Agricultural Economics, 37: 97-117.
- Salman, A. and Al-Karablieh, E. 2004. Measuring the willingness of farmers to pay for groundwater in the highland areas of Jordan. Agricultural Water Management, 68(1): 61â76.
- Siam, G. and Moussa, H. 2003. Food security in Egypt under economic liberalization policies and WTO agreement. International Conference Agricultural Policy Reform and the WTO: Where are we Heading? Capri, Italy, 23â26 June.
- Statistical Center of Iran,2014
- Teerink, J.R. and Nakashima, M. 1993. Water allocation, rights and pricing: examples for Japan and the United States, World Bank technical paper, No.198.68pp.