Document Type : علمی - پژوهشی
Department of Planning and Designing the Environment, Environmental Sciences Research Institute, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Forestry and Forest Economics, Faculty of Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Department of Environment Planning and Management, Faculty of Environment, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: According to a World Bank report, the urban growth rate is increasing more than the rate of population growth throughout the world. Such an urban growth rate may cause environmental crises on different levels (global, national and local) if there is a failure to consider ecological factors. It is obvious that development of metropolises such as Tehran is also impossible without considering some master plan which defines the appropriate urban development planes based on ecological criteria.Materials and methods: It seems that land suitability indicators based on ecological criteria may provide a suitable basis for urban planning purposes in order to identify a better solution and prevent environmental crisis. Multi-criteria assessment is required to find the suitable ecological criteria for evaluating urban development potential, therefore a multi-criteria decision making approach using GIS techniques was employed during present research to find appropriate ecological criteria. Besides that and due to inherent uncertainty governing the decision making process as well as the incompatibility of different judgments made by various decision makers, we were encouraged to use fuzzy logic to eliminate ambiguity of decisions in this research.Results and discussion: During the present study the necessary factors were extracted through a literature review and the Delphi Technique, and were entered into a GIS database. Information layers were combined using weights derived from Delphi Techniques and the ultimate decision was made based on the two Boolean and Fuzzy Logic using ARC GIS 10.1.Conclusion: Final results revealed that there is no more room for horizontal development in the City of Tehran
- Alberti, M., Botsford, E. and Cohen, A., 2001. Quantifying the urban gradient: Linking urban planning and ecology. Avian Ecology and Conservation in an Urbanizing World Journal. 89- 115.
- Alberti, M., Marzluff, J., Shulenberger, E., Bradley, G., Ryan, C. and Zumbrunnen, C., 2003. Bioscience. Integrating humans into ecology: opportunities and challenges for studying urban ecosystems. 53(12), 1169-1179.
- Alberti, M., 2008. Advances in Urban Ecology: Integrating Humans and Ecological Processes in Urban Ecosystems. Springer Press, New York.
- Alberti, M., 2010. Maintaining ecological integrity and sustaining ecosystem function in urban areas. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability Journal. 2 (3),178-184.
- Botequilha, A. and Ahern, J., 2002. Applying landscape ecological concepts and metrics in sustainable landscape planning. Journal of Landscape and Urban Planning, 59, 65-93.
- Dong, J., Zhuang, D. F., Xu, X. L. and Ying, L., 2008. Integrated evaluation of urban development suitability based on remote sensing and GIS techniques (A case study in Jingjinji area). China. Sensors. 15, 5975-5986.
- Forman, R.T.T., 2008. Urban Regions, Ecology & Planning beyond the city, Edinburg Building, Cambridge, UK.
- Ghafari, S.R., Shafaghi, S. and Salehi, N., 2010. Evaluation of urban land use compatibility using fuzzy multicriteria decision making model. Journal of Urban - Regional Studies and Research. 1(4), 59-76. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Gharakhlou, M., Pourkhabbaz, H.R., Amiri, M.j. and Faraji Sabokbar, H.A., 2009. Ecological capability evaluation of Qazvin region for determining urban development potential points using geographic information system. Journal of Urban - Regional Studies and Research. 1(2), 51- 68. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Howard, E., 1902. Garden Cities of To-morrow. Published by Swan Sonnenschein & Co. Ltd. Harvard University.
- Lingjun, L., Zong, H. and Yan, H., 2008. Study on land use suitability assessment of urban-rural planning based on remote sensing (a case study of liangping in Chongqing).The International Archives of the Photogrammetric, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. Vol. XXXVII. Part B8. Beijing.
- Makhdoum, M.F., Darvishsefat, A.A., Jafarzadeh, H. and Makhdoum, A.F., 2002. Environmental Evaluation and Planning by Geographic Information System. Tehran University Press, Tehran, Iran.
- Matkan, A.A., Shakib, A.R., Pouali, H. and Nazmfar, H., 2009.Urban waste landfill Site selection by GIS (Case Study: Tabriz city).Environmental Science .6, 121-132. (In Persian with English abstract).
- McHarg, I., 1969. Design with nature. Published by Natural History Press. N.Y.
- Newman, P. and Kenworthy, J., 1999. Sustainability and Cities. Overcoming Automobile Dependence. Washington D. C: Island Press.
- Pickett, S.T.A., Cadenasso, M. L., Grove, J. M., Nilon, C.h., Pouyat, R.V., Zipperer, W.V., Costanza, R., 2001.Urban ecological systems: linking terrestrial ecological, physical, and socioeconomic components of metropolitan areas. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics. 32, 127-157.
- Pickett, S.T.A., Cadenasso, M. L., Grove, J. M., Boone, C.G., Groffman, P.M., Irwin, E., Kaushal, S.,Marshall, V., McGrath, B. P., Nilon, C. H., Pouyat, R. V., Szlavecz, K., Troy, A. and Warren,P., 2011.Urban ecological systems: Scientific foundations and a decade of progress. Journal of Environmental Management, 92,331-362.
- Rees, W. and Wackernagel, M., 1996. Urban ecological footprints: Why cities cannot be sustainable And why they are a key to sustainability. Environmental Impact Assessment Review Journal. Volume 16, 223-248.
- Sayahnia, R., 2011. The analysis of ecological criteria in urban development modeling. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Tehran. Iran.
- Shamsipour, A.A. and Shekhi, M., 2010. Zoning of sensitive area and environment vulnerable in west of19 fars province using fuzzy and AHP classification. Physical geography research quarterly.73, 53-68. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Sotoudeh, A., 2010. Identification of ecological health indicator to select the suitable alternative for urban development in Irananoturanian biom. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Tehran. Iran.
- Statistical Center of Iran, 2008. Iran statistical yearbook 1386. Islamic Republic of Iran.
- UN, 2007. World Urbanization Prospects: The 2005 Revision Population. Available online at: http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/W UP2005/2005wup
- Waddell, P. and Alberti, M., 2000. An integrated urban development and ecological simulation model. Integrated Assessment. 1(3), 215-227.
- Sun, X., Zhu, X., Li, Y. F., Zhang, L., Zhou, Y., 2009. Land suitability analysis for urban planning environmental assessment in an ecologically sensitive coastal area of Eastern China Based upon multi-criteria mechanism. China Strategic Environmental Assessment Forum. Nanjing University. China