Document Type : علمی - پژوهشی
Assistant Professor, Environmental Science Research Institute University of Shahid Beheshti
PhD of Environmental Planning, Faculty of Environment, University of Tehran
PhD Candidate of Environmental Management, Faculty of Environment and Energy, Azad University of Science and Research, Tehran Branch.
The transportation sector is the fastest growing energy demand in the world and it has created many economic and environmental problems for both industrial and developing countries. Economic problems, including high inflation and low developed public transport, are the main causes of the spread using of obsolete private vehicles in Iran that and this has imposed high costs on the society. In this research for estimating the social cost of obsolete cars, first of all the number of old cars in the country has been calculated and, then the social cost that old cars impose on the community have been calculated by assessing the effect of each pollutant gas. The result shows that, in 2011, although only about 11 percent of the country’s cars were old, they cause more than 75 percent of pollutant emissions and this has also imposed about 32 million dollars social costs to the society. To reduce this cost, it is necessary to have a well managed integrated transport system operated by governmental and private sectors.
- Haji Hoseinloo M, Karooni A. Evaluation of traffic management policies in relation to air pollution in Tehran. Iran. Traffic Management Study; 2007; 1(7) 11-19. [In Persian
- Mirfatah S M, Saleh A R. Comparative evaluation of various alternative fuels in the transport sector. Iran. Assess the economic issues of energy; 2007; 2(10): 3-23. [In Persian
- Agneta M, Per D, Tommy G, Thomas, L. Direct and indirect effects on householdsâ intentions to replace the old car. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 2004; 23(4): 11, 1â8.
- Lee C. Management of scrap car recycling. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 1997; 20(7): 207â217.
- Salahi J, Malekpour S. Economic evaluation of alternative Old cars gasoline in style. Iran. Journal of Energy Economics; 2009; 5(9): 161-185. [In Persian
- Yue K. Comparative analysis of scrap car recycling management policies. The 7th International Conference on Waste Management and Technology Conference. Procedia Environmental Sciences; 2012; 16(12): 44 â 50.
- Damankeshide M, Shojae M, Alimardani F. Replacement of light vehicle gasoline on air pollution in Tehran. Iran. Political-Economic Journal; 2011; 15(11): 567-580. [In Persian
- Abdoli G, Varharami V. Effects of Disposal of Old cars, Tehran Case Study. Iran. Studies of the energy economy; 2010: 4(10): 88-107. [In Persian
- Behtash F, Naserzadeh M, Aghababae Z, Jafari M. Evaluation of alternative fuels to reduce air pollution in Tehran as part of a fleet of CNG in urban transport. Iran. Planning and Studies Center
- of Tehran, Knowledge City; 2010; 6(10): 113-121. [In Persian
- Taheri M A. Mechanism out of the Old cars in the world. Iran. Energy economy; 2008; 16(8): 53-55. [In Persian
- Kagawa S, Hubacek K, Nansai K, Kataoka M, Managi S, Suh S, Kudoh, Y. Better cars or older cars?: Assessing CO2 emission reduction potential of passenger vehicle replacement programs. Global Environmental Change; 2015; 23(15): 1807â1818.
- Kan H, Chen B. Particulate air pollution in urban areas of Shanghai, China: health based economic assessment. Science of the Total Environment; 2004; 322(4): 71â79.
- Khaksari A, Jami A. Environmental impacts of old vehicle. Iran. Journal of NAJA Traffic Police; 2007; 5(7): 56-50. [In Persian
- Abrams B A, Parsons G R. Is CARS a clunker? The Economists; 2009; 6(8): 8-31
- Sachs J D. A clunker of a climate policy. Scientific American; 2013; 34(2): 3012019
- Small K A, Van Dender K. Fuel efficiency and motor vehicle travel: the declining rebound effect. Energy Journal; 2014; 28(14): 25â51
- Bert V W, Henri M, Jessica D. Environmental impact of scrapping old cars. Transportation Research Part D; 2000; 5(2): 137-143.
- Radomir M. The optimal lifetime of passenger cars based on minimization of CO2 emission. Energy; 2013; 55(13): 869-878
- Davari F. Old cars is a problem and a solutions useless. Iran. Journal of report; 2006; 9(6): 26-27. [In Persian
- Abdoli M, Motamedi S B, Baghvand A. Old cars environmental management. Iran. Journal of Environmental Studies; 2007; 13(7): 53-62. [In Persian
- Coordinating institution abortion centers, Managing Director Interview coordinating institution abortion centers (Alireza Cheloe) by Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA), http://aseiran.ir/1388/02, (assessed: June 25, 2014). [In Persian
- Ministry of Energy. Iran Energy balance sheet for 2011.Iran Ministry of Energy., 2012, P. 154. [In Persian
- Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Price index of consumer goods and services, http://www.cbi.ir/simplelist/11826.aspx, (assessed: July 7, 2014). [In Persian
- Vehicle Information Center, Statistical analysis of the situation ten years in the auto industry, (assessed: Aug 2, 2014). [In Persian
- Lee C H. Management of scrap car recycling. Resources, Conservation and Recycling; 2014; 20(14): 207â217.
- Shojaenik K, Jozeini R, Rahmani M. The effect of Tehran's old shipping system emissions and air pollution. First International Conference on Environmental Engineering, Tehran, center strategies to achieve sustainable development; July 25, 2014. [In Persian
- Goodarzi K H. Examine the economic and environmental costs of replacing old cars. Eleventh Conference of Transport and Traffic Engineering, Tehran, Tehran Department of Transportation and Traffic. Sep 25, 2012. [In Persian
- Alipour S, Mir A. The effects of the old-out car project on air pollution and urban traffic. Seventh Conference of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Tehran, Tehran Department of Transportation and Traffic. Sep 20, 2006. [In Persian
- Paygane G h, Afshar H F, Hayelmoghadam A. . Replacement of old cars: the necessity of performance, potential and progress of the project in the country form beginning to so far. The sixth biennial National Conference on Environmental Experts Association, Tehran, Iran Environmental Specialists Association. Sep 14, 2006. [In Persian