Energy consumption pattern and sensitivity analysis of irrigated wheat production farms in Kermanshah

Document Type : علمی - پژوهشی


1 Department of Agronomy, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zabol, Zabol

2 Department of Agricultural Economy, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zabol, Zabol


The objectives of this study were to evaluate the energy consumption and to determine the inputs sensitivity for wheat production system in Kermanshah county of Iran. To achieve these objectives, data were collected from 120 irrigated wheat farms selected using a random sampling method during 2012. The sensitivity of energy inputs was estimated using the marginal physical productivity (MPP) method and partial regression coefficients on wheat yield. The results indicated that the total energy input was 41,921.8 MJ ha-1, and approximately 38% and 13% were from nitrogen fertilizer and diesel fuel, respectively. Approximately 57% of the total energy inputs used in wheat production was direct energy, while the remaining 43% was indirect. Econometric assessment results revealed that the energy inputs of human labor, machinery, diesel fuel, chemical fertilizers had significant influence on the yield. Sensitivity analysis indicated that the MPP value of energy inputs was between -2.8 and 11.31. Also the MPP value of human labor was the highest, followed by machinery, water for irrigation and phosphorous fertilizer energy inputs, respectively. However, the MPP of biocides energy was calculated to be -1.97 implying that the use of biocides energy is in excess for wheat production, causing an environmental risk problem in the region. Direct, indirect, renewable, and non-renewable energy forms had positive impacts on the output level