Document Type : Original Articles
Assistant Professor, Departement of Water Engineering., University of Shaihd Bahonar Kerman, Iran
Lectruer of Payame Noor University, Departement of Agricultural, Tehran, Iran
Member of Research Committee of Environmental Institute
MSc Student of Marine Structure, Faculty of Civil, University of Science and research Azad
The importance and position of water in economical, municipal, agricultural and industrial scopes is evident. Nevertheless, the shortage of the water resources, will duplicate the importance of protecting measures of clean water. Irrigation with treated municipal wastewater is considered an environmentally sound wastewater disposal practice compared to its direct disposal to the surface or ground water bodies. In addition, wastewater is a valuable source of plant nutrients and organic matter needed for maintaining fertility and productivity levels of the soil. In this research, the effects of treated wastewater of Kerman city on chemical characteristics of soil using drip and furrow irrigations were investigated. Irrigation period was 6 days and lasted for 6 months. Samplings were done for the middle part of furrows in two depths of 0-30 cm and 30-60 cm in four irrigation treatments. The experiments were conducted in a split plot design based on the Randomized Complete Block Design (RCBD) with three replications. Results showed the reduction of pH, and increment of salinity, phosphate phosphorus, nitrate nitrogen and heavy metals of using wastewater compare to well water. Moreover, the results indicate the increasing of accumulation of heavy metals in soil depth applying furrow irrigation in comparison to drip irrigation
- Mojiri A. Effects of municipal wastewater on physical and chemical properties of saline soil. Journal of Biology, Environ Science; 2011;14:71-76.
- Kaschl A, Romheld V, Chen Y. The influence of soluble organic matter from municipal solid waste compost on trace metal leaching in calcareous soils. The Science of the Total Environment; 2002;291:45-57.
- Meli S, Porto M, Belligno A, Bufo S A, Mazzatura A, Scopa A. Influence of irrigation with lagooned urban wastewater on chemical and microbiological soil parameters in a citrus orchard under Mediterranean condition. Science of the Total Environment; 2002;285(1-3):69-77.
- Hanifehlou A, Moazed H. Effects of Ahwaz treated municipal wastewater application on hydraulic characteristics of soil. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research; 2007;8(2):47-62. [In Persian]
- Heidarpour M, Mostafazadeh-Fard B, Abedi Koupai J, Malekian R. The effects of treated wastewater on soil chemical properties using subsurface and surface irrigation methods. Agricultural Water Management; 2007;90(1-2):87-94.
- Rezapour S, Samadi A, Khodaverdiloo H. Impact of long-term wastewater irrigation on variability of soil attributes along a landscape, semi-arid region of Iran. Environmental Earth Sciences; 2012;67:1713â1723.
- Karimzadeh M, Alizadeh A, Mohammady Arya M. Effect of Irrigation with Waste Water on Soil Saturated Hydraulic Conductivity. Journal of water and soil; 2012;26(6):1553-1547. [In Persian]
- Aiello R, Cirelli, G L, Consoli S. Effects of reclaimed wastewater irrigation on soil and tomato fruits: A case study in Sicily (Italy). Agricultural water management; 2007;93(1â2):65-72.
- Xu J, Wu L, Chang A C, Zhang Y. Impact of long-term reclaimed wastewater irrigation on agricultural soils: A preliminary assessment. Journal of Hazardous Materials; 2010;183(1-3), 780-786.
- Sacco D, Cremon C, Zavattaro L, Grignani C. Seasonal variation of soil physical properties under different water managements in irrigated rice. Soil and Tillage Research; 2012;118,:22-31.
- Blum J, Herpin U, Melfi A J, Montes C R. Soil properties in a sugarcane plantation after the application of treated sewage effluent and phosphogypsum in Brazil. Agricultural Water Management. 2012;115:203-216.
- SouDakoure M Y, Mermoud A, Yacouba H, Boivin P. Impacts of irrigation with industrial treated wastewater on soil properties. Geoderma. 2013;200â201:31-39.
- Papadopoulos A, Bird N R A, Whitmore A P, Mooney S J. Does organic management lead to enhanced soil physical quality. Geoderma; 2014;213:435-443.
- Asadi R, Haghighatjou P, Koohi N. Evaluation of the evapotranspiration based on solar radiation and air temperature in Kerman city. The 1st International Conference on Plant, Water, Soil and Weather Modeling; 2010; Kerman, Iran. [In Persian]
- Khai N, Tuan P, Vinh C, Oborn I. Effects of using wastewater as nutrient sources on soil chemical properties in peri periurban agricultural systems. Journal of Science, Earth Sciences; 2008;24: 87-95.
- Magesan G N, Williamson J C, Yeates G W, Lloyd-Jones A R. Wastewater C:N ratio effects on soil hydraulic conductivity and potential mechanisms for recovery. Bioresource Technology; 2000;71:21-27.
- Hosseinpour A, Haghnia G, Alizadeh A, Fotovat A. Transport of some elements to depth of a soil following irrigation with raw and treated municipal wastewaters under continuous and intermittent flood conditions. Journal of water and soil; 2008;22(2):117-133. [In Persian]
- McLaren R G, Clucas L M, Taylor M D, Hendry T. Leaching of macronutrients and metals from undisturbed soils treated with metal-spiked sewage sludge, Leaching of macronutrients. Australian Journal of Soil Research; 2003;41:571-588.
- Sepaskhah A R, Karizi A. Effects of alternate use of wastewater and fresh water on soil saturated hydraulic conductivity. Journal of agronomy and soil science; 2011;57:149â158.
- Najafi P, Nasr S. Comparison effects of wastewater on soil chemical properties in three irrigation methods. Research on Crops; 2009;10:277-280.