Document Type : مقاله کوتاه
Young Researchers and Elites club, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Professor, Department of Soil Science, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Assistant professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Payame Noor University, Tehran, Iran
Soil quality index is able to assist quantifying soil status in different usage. The objective of this study was to present a new method for one of the most important environmental challenges, municipal solid waste landfill siting, based on determining soil quality index. After presenting the proposed method, it was used for landfill site selection of Marvdasht. First, soil functions including daily waste cover, container and support of waste, renovating some waste products and landfill final cover were determine to find out soil quality index. Thereafter, proper extractable soil properties from soil map were defined to quantify soil functions. Subsequent to data standardization, data weighting were performed by analytic hierarchy process. Next, with gathering data, soil quality index was derived for each soil map unit. The result of proposed method shows that almost 8000 hectares of the study area is suitable for landfill construction. The situations of suitable areas were comparable with the result of common environmental landfill siting in the study area. But in the new proposed method, the numbers of evaluation criteria were less than the traditional method and the site selection approach was easier and more cost effective. Further, the productivity of soils for more valuable usage like agriculture was considered.
- Bagchi A. Desighn of landfills and integrated solid waste management, Thierd edition. John Willy and Sons; 2004; p. 696.
- Eskandari M, Homaee M, Mahmodi S, Pazira E. A New Landfill Siting Method Based on Land Classification Maps and GIS. Environmental Sciences Journal; 2013;11(2):121-132.[In Persian]
- Morrissey A J, Browne J. Waste management models and their application to sustainable waste management. Waste Management; 2004;24:297-308.
- Helms B. Clark R. Locational models for solid waste management. Journal of Urban Planning and Development Division, ASCE; April 1971;1â13.
- Esmali H. Facility selection and haul optimization model. Journal of the Sanitary Engineering Division, ASCE; December 1972;1005â1021.
- Malczewski J. GIS and multicriteria decision analysis. New York: John Wiley & sons Inc.; 1999.
- Geneletti, D. Combining stakeholder analysis and spatial multicriteria evaluation to select and rank inert landfill sites. Waste Management; 2010;30:328â337.
- Eskandari M, Homaee M, Mahmodi S. An integrated multi criteria approach for landfill siting in a conflicting environmental, economical and socio-cultural area. Waste Management; 2012;32:1528â1538.
- Al-Jarrah O, Abu-Qdais H. Municipal solid waste landfill siting using intelligent system. Waste Management; 2006;26:534â546.
- Ekmekcioglu M. Kaya T. Kahraman C. Fuzzy multicriteria disposal method and site selection for municipal solid waste. Waste Management; 2010;30:1729â1736.
- Moeinaddini M, Khorasani N, Danehkar A, Darvishsefat A A, zienalyan M. Siting MSW landfill using weighted linear combination and analytical hierarchy process (AHP) methodology in GIS environment (case study: Karaj). Waste Management; 2010;30:912â920.
- Aragones-Beltran P, Pastor-Ferrando J.P. Garcia-Garcia F. Pascual-Agullo A. An analytic network process approach for siting a municipal solid wasteplant in the metropolitan area of Valencia (Spain). Journal of Environmental Management; 2010;91:1071â1086.
- Banar M, Murat Kose B. Ozkan A. Poyraz Acar I. Choosing a municipal landfill site by analytic network process. Environmental Geology; 2007;52:747â751.
- Siddiqui M.Z. Everett J.W. Vieux B.E. Landfill siting using geographic information systems: a demonstration. Journal of Environmental Engineering; 1996;122:515â523.
- Kontos T, Komilis D P, Halvadakis C P. Siting MSW landfills with a spatial multiple criteria analysis methodology. Waste Management; 2005;25:818â832.
- Sener B. Suzen L. Doyuran V. Landfill site selection by using geographic information systems. Environmental Geology; 2006;49:376â388.
- Sumathi V.R. Natesan U. Sarkar Ch. GIS-based approach for optimized siting of municipal solid waste landfill. Waste Management; 2008;28:2146â2160.
- Wang G. Li Q. Guoxue L. Lijun Ch. Landfill site selection using spatial information technologies and AHP: A case study in Beijing China. Journal of Environmental Management; 2009;90:2414â2421.
- Nas B, Cay T, Iscan F, Berktay A. Selection of MSW landfill site for Konya, Turkey using GIS and multi-criteria evaluation. Environmental Monitoring Assessment; 2010;160:491-500.
- Sener S, Sener E, Karaguzel R. Solid waste disposal site selection with GIS and AHP methodology: a case study in Senirkent-Uluborlu (Isparta) Basin, Turkey. Environmental Monitoring Assessment; 2011;173:533-554.
- Gorsevski P.V. Donevska K.R. Mitrovski C.D. Frizado J.P. Integrating multi-criteria evaluation techniques with geographic information systems for landfill site selection: A case study using ordered weighted average. Waste Management; 2012;32:287â296.
- Eskandari M, Homaee M, Mahmoodi S, Pazira E. Integrating GIS and AHP for Municipal Solid Waste Landfill Site Selection. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research; 2013;3(4):588-595.
- Falamaki A, Eskandari M, Using multi criteria decision making approach for municipal solid waste landfill siting in Yasouj. Iran Occupational Health Journal; 2013;10(5):50-66.[In Persian]
- Brady N C, Weil R. The nature and properties of soils, fourteenth ed. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2008.
- Eskandari M, Homaee M, Mahmoodi S. Optimized approach for MSW landfill siting using MCDA and GIS. Environmental Sciences Journal; 2011;(accepted).[In Persian]
- Iranâs Environmental Protection Organization (IEPO), Office for Soil and Water Pollution Studies. Guidelines for Siting MSW Sanitary Landfill. Tehran, Iran; 2009.[In Persian]
- Loughry F.G. The use of soil science in sanitary landfill selection and managment. Geoderma; 1973;10:131-139.