Document Type : Original Articles
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Faculty of Physics, University of zanjan, Zanja
Associated Professor, Department of Physics, Faculty of Physics, Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences, Zanjan
Classification of atmospheric aerosols is one of the important topics in the airborne and ground-based instruments remote sensing. Polarized sky radiance resulting from interaction between sunlight and atmospheric particles strongly depends on the presenceof aerosols in the atmosphere, and can be monitored by looking at the aerosol polarized phase function. In this paper, the ability the polarized phase function to classify atmospheric aerosols has been investigated for the atmosphere of the Zanjan. To do this, aerosol optical depth (AOD), Angstrom exponent (α), single scattering albedo (SSA), and polarized phase function have been retrieved from the measurements of SPM in the period of February 2010 to December 2012. The results show that the maximum valueof aerosol polarized phase function is strongly correlated (R = 0.95) with the Angstrom exponent. Furthermore the polarized phase function shows a moderate negative correlation with respect to the atmospheric aerosol optical depth and single-scattering albedo (R =−0.76 and−0.33, respectively). Therefore the polarized phase function can be regarded as a key parameter to characterize the atmospheric particles of the region –a populated city in the semi-arid area and surrounded by some dust sources of the Earth’s dust belt.
- IPCC, Climate Change 2007: âThe Physical Science Basisâ. In: Solomon, S., Qin, D., Manning, M., Chen, Z., Marquis, M., Averyt, K. B., Tignor, M., and Miller, H. L. (Eds.), Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University, 2007.
- Dubovik, O., Holben, B. N., Eck, T. F., Smirnov, A., Kaufman, Y. J., King, M. D., TanreÂ´, D., and Slutsker, I. âVariability of absorption and optical properties of key aerosol types observed in worldwide locationsâ, J. Atmos. Sci., (2002)590â608.
- Holben, B. N., Eck, T. F., Slutsker, I., Tanre, D., Buis, J. P., Setzer, A., Vermote, E., Reagan, J. A., Kaufman, Y. J., Nakajima, T., Lavenu, F., Jankowiak, I., and Smirnov, A. âAERONET-A federated instrument network and data archive for aerosol characterizationâ, Remote Sensing of Environment, (1998)1â16.
- Bayat, A., Masoumi, A., and Khalesifard, H. R. âRetrieval of atmospheric optical parameters from ground-based sun-photometer measurements for Zanjan, Iranâ, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, (2011)857â863.
- Masoumi A., Khalesifard H. R., Bayat A., and Moradhaseli R. âRetrieval of aerosol optical and physical properties from ground-based measurements for Zanjan, a city in Northwest Iranâ, Atmospheric Research, (2013)343â355.
- Bayat, A., Khalesifard, H. R., and Masoumi, A. âRetrieval of aerosol single scattering albedo and polarized phase function from polarized sunphotometer measurements for Zanjanâs atmosphereâ, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, accepted, (2013).
- Prospero, J. M., Ginoux, P., Torres, O., Nicholson, S. E., and Gill, T. E. âEnvironmental characterization of global sources of atmospheric soil dust identified with the nimbus 7 total ozone mapping spectrometer (TOMS) absorbing aerosol productâ, Reviews of Geophysics, (2002), 1002â1032.
- Giles, D. M., Holben, B. N., Eck, T. F., Sinyuk, A., Smirnov, A., Slutsker, I., Dickerson, R. R., Thompson, A. M., and Schafer, J. S. âAn Analysis of AERONET Aerosol Absorption Properties and Classifications Representative of Aerosol Source Regionsâ, J. Geophys. Res., (2012)117, D17203.
- Vermeulen, A., Devaux, C., and Herman, M. âRetrieval of the scattering and microphysical properties of aerosols from groundbased optical measurements including polarization: I. Methodâ, Appl. Optics, (2000)6207â6220.
- Lenoble, J., Herman, M., DeuzÂ´e, J. L., Lafrance, B., Santer, R., and TanrÂ´e, D. âA successive order of scattering code for solving the vector equation of transfer in the earthâs atmosphere with aerosolsâ, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Ra., (2007)479â507.
- Li, Z., Goloub, P., Devaux, C., Gu, X., Qiao, Y., and Zhao, F. âRetrieval of aerosol optical and physical properties from ground-based spectral, multi-angular and polarized sun-photometer measurementsâ, Remote Sens. Environ., (2006)519â533.