Document Type : Original Articles
Associate professor, Department of Environmental Economics, Environmental Science Research InstituteUniversity of Shahid Beheshti, Tehran
PhD Candidate of Agricultural Economics, Department of Agricultural Economics,University of Mashhad, Mashhad
Assistant professor, Department of Environmental Economics, Environmental Science Research InstituteUniversity of Shahid Beheshti, Tehran
Nowadays, water pollution is one of the most serious environmental challenges in managerial policies of the world. On the other hand, the effect of economic development of the countries on pollution emission is undeniable. The mail goal of this study is to investigate the amount and direction of theeffect of gross domestic production and energy consumption on water pollution in Iran. The investigation was performed using 1973-2007 time series data and the vector error correction model (VECM). The results showed that, when gross domestic product rises, although the amount of pollution increases at the beginning, eventually the amount of water pollution decrease as this process goes on. The results also showed that a 1% increase in energy consumption results in 0.55% increase in water pollution. Considering this positive effect of energy consumption on water pollution, the implementation of policies for increasing energy efficiency should result in a pollution decrease. Estimation of the error correction coefficient indicated that it would take more than 1.54 year to adjust the shocks caused by water pollution in Iran.
- WHO/UNICEF. Progress on Sanitation and Drinking-Water: ;2013; Update. New York, WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation
- UN. The Report of the High-Level Panel of Eminent Persons on the Post-2015 Development Agenda. ;2013;. New York, UN.
- Onda, K., LoBuglio, J. and Bartram, J. Global access to safe water: Accounting for water quality and the resulting impact on MDG progress. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health; 2012., doi:10.3390/ijerph9030880
- World bank reports . Report of state unexpected disasters organization. ;2007; ( in Persian)
- Focacci A .Empirical Analysis if The Environmental and Energy Policy in Some Developing Countries, using employed Macroeconomics Indicator, Energy Policy journal ;2003;.vol33,pp 543-554
- Warr. B. S, and Ayres. R. UEvidence of causality between the quantity and quality of energy consumption and economic growth. International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis. ;2009 ; (IIASA).
- Chebbi. H. E. Investigating linkages between economic growth, energy consumption and pollution emission in Tunisia, Agricultural Economic Conference, 2009;Beijing, Chaina, Agust 16-
- Moazzami.A, & Moradhasel.N. Investigating the effect of the economic growth and environmental degradation on health, the case study: air pollution ; 2006; oral presentation on the second national conference of the air pollution and its effect on the health.
- Pajoyan. J. & Moradhasel.N. Investigating the effect of economic growth on air pollution. Iranian journal of economic researches. ; 2007; No 7.( in Persian)
- Fetres.M,. âIssues of Environment and Economics. The Iranian Journal of agricultural economics and development. 1998; No 21. P; 78. . [In Persian]
- Martinez-Zarzoso, I., Bengochea-Morancho, A.,. Testing for an Environmental KUZNETS Curve in Latin-American Countries. Revista deAnalisis Econo'mico ;2003;18, No. 1, 3-26.