Document Type : Original Articles
M.Sc. Student of Environmental Pollution, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Yazd Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Yazd, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Agroecology, Shahid Beheshti University, G.C., Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Agroecology, Shahid Beheshti University, G.C., Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Islamic Azad University, Khorramabad Branch, Iran
South lands of Tehran are the main source of agricultural productions in which some kinds of vegetables, legumes, cereals and other crops are growing. This research measured and zoned heavy metal soil pollutionin 1500 ha of these cultivated fields south of the city of Tehran in Iran. In this study, 128 samples were collected using the systematic-random method from 64 areas at depths of 0-30 cm and 30-60 cm and the concentrations of cadmium, chromium, nickel, lead and zinc were measured. The parameters of pH, electrical conductivity, and phosphate were also recorded. Zoning maps were developed using the inverse distance weighted method. The results showed that concentrations of heavy metals, with the exception ofnickel, were higher at the shallower depth than at the lower depth. The zoning map shows that cadmium, chromium, lead and zinc occurred in greater concentrations in the northern areas and nickel in the southern areas. A comparison of these results with Iranian soil resource pollution standards indicates that the levels of chromium, nickel and zinc exceeded the standards in some parts of the study area.
- Pascucci Simone. Soil Contamination. In Tech, 2011. p.107.
- Nasralla, M. M. Lead in Jaddah urban dust. Environ. Pollut, Ser.B. 1994.133-141.
- Nabizadeh, R., Mahvi, A. H., Mardani, G., and Yunesian, M. Study of heavy metals in urban runoff. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology; 2005; 1(4), 325-33. [In Persian]
- Bose Sutapa, Bhattacharyya, A.K. Heavy metal accumulation in wheat plant grown in soil amended with industrial sludge. Chemosphere; 2008; 70(7): 1264â1272.
- Fuge, R. Anthropogenic sources. In: Selinum, O. (Ed.), Essentials of Medical Geology: Impacts of the Natural Environment on Public Health. Amsterdam: Academic Press; 2005; pp. 43â60.
- Kabata-Pendias A., and Pendias, H. Trace Elements in Soils and Plants, CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, Florida, USA. 2001.
- Bou Kheir, R., H. M. Greve, C. Abdallah, Dalgaard, T. Spatial soil zinc content distribution from terrain parameters: A GIS-based decision-tree model in Lebanon. Environmental Pollution; 2010; 158: 520â528.
- Mitsios, I.K., E.E., Golia and Floras, S.A. GIS-Based Monitoring Heavy Metals Content in Soils of Thessaly Area, (Central Greece). Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing: Environmental Applications (Proceedings of the International Symposium held at Volos, Greece; 2003; p. 7-9.
- Alzahra University. Evaluation and measurement of petroleum hydrocarbons and heavy metals (nickel and vanadium) in crops and agricultural soils of southern Tehran (land south of the refinery). Tehran Oil Refining Company. 2008. [In Persian]
- Khodakarami, L., Safyaniyan, E., Mirghafari, N., Afyoni, M. and A. Golshahi. Zoning heavy metals chromium, cobalt and nickel in soils of three sub-basin of Hamedan province using GIS and geostatistical techniques. Science and Technology of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Soil and Water Sciences; 2011; 15 (58): 2-15. [In Persian]
- Fuqiang, L., Z. Shenglu, Z. Hongfu, W. Shaohua and Qiguo, Z. Spatial Distribution and Changes of Heavy Metals of Agricultural Lands in Typical Pregrading Coast in Dongtai City, Jiangsu Province, China. Chin. Geogra. Sci; 2008; 18(3) 276â283.
- Sun, Y., Zhoua, Q., Xiea X. and Liu, R., Spatial, sources and risk assessment of heavy metal contamination of urban soils in typical regions of Shenyang, China. Journal of Hazardous Materials; 2010; 174: 455â462.
- Iran Mapping Agency. Topographic Map of South Tehran. Scale 1:25000. 2006.
- ASTM. Standards of American Society for Testing and Materials. 2012.
- Ryan, J., George Estefan and Abdul Rashid. Soil and Plant Analysis Laboratory Manual. Second Edition. Jointly published by the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) and the National Agricultural Research Center (NARC). Available from ICARDA, Aleppo, Syria; 2001; 172 pp.
- SAS Institute Inc. SAS: Statistical Analysis System. North Carolina: Cary. 2000.
- ShakouriKatigari, M., Shabanpour, M., Asadi, H., Davatgar, N. and Babazadeh, Sh. Performance evaluation of spatial interpolation methods in organic carbon density zoning Paddy Soil of Guilan. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation Research; 2010; 18(10): 210-195. [In Persian]
- Mousavi, A., Safyaniyan, N., Mirghafari, A. and Khodakarami, L. Investigate the spatial distribution of heavy metals in soils of Hamedan Province. Journal of Soil Science, Soil and Water, A; 2011; 25(4): 1-16. [In Persian]
- Lado, L.R., T. Hengl and Reuter, H. Heavy metals in European soils: A geostatistical analysis of the FOREGS Geochemical database. Geoderma; 2008; 189â199.
- Mico, C., Recatala, L., Peris, M. and Sanchez, J. Assessing heavy metal sources in agricultural soils of a European Mediterranean area by multivariate analysis. Chemosphere; 2006; 65: 863â872.
- Inacio, M., V. Pereira, and M. Pinto. The Soil Geochemical Atlas of Portugal: Overview and applications. Journal of Geochemical Exploration; 2008; Vol. 98:22â33.
- Luo,W.,Wang, T., Lu, Y., Giesy, J.P., Shi, Y., Zheng, Y., Xing, Y. and Wu, G. Landscape ecology of the Guanting reservoir, Beijing, China: multivariate and geostatistical analyses of metals in soils. Environmental Pollution; 2007; 146, 567â576.
- Shi Zhou, Li Yan, Cheng Jieliang. Stochastic simulation of spatial distribution and uncertainty assessment of heavy metal in paddy soil. Environmental Science; 2007; 28(1): 209â214. (In Chinese)
- Hani A. and E. Pazira. Heavy metals assessment and identification of their sources. In agricultural soils of Southern Tehran, Iran. Environ Monit. Assess; 2011; 176: 677â691.
- Amini, M., Afyoni, M., Khademi, H. and Fathianpour, N. Modeling Cadmium and Lead Balances in Agricultural Lands of Isfahan Region. Science and Technology of Agriculture and Natural Resources; 2003; 10: 77-89. [In Persian]
- Lin, Y. P., T. Tung-Po and Tsun-Kuo, C. Multivariate analysis of soil heavy metal pollution and landscape pattern in Changhua County in Taiwan. Landscape and Urban Planning; 2002; 62: 19â35.
- Facchinelli, A., Sacchi, E. and Mallen, L. Multivariate statistical and GIS-based approach to identify heavy metal source in soils. Environmental Pollution; 2001; 114: 313-324.
- Mardani, G., Sadeghi, M. and Ahankoub, M. (2010). Heavy metal contamination of soils in southern Tehran at the direction of surface runoff. Water and Wastewater, 3: 108-113. [In Persian]
- Camacho-Tamayo, J. H., C. A. Luengas and Leiva, F.R. Effect of Agricultural Intervention on the Spatial Variability of Some Soils Chemical Properties in the Eastern Plains of Colombia, Chilean Journal of Agricultural Research; 2008; 68(1):42-55.
- Patil, S.S., V.C. Patil and K.A. Al-Gaadi. Spatial Variability in Fertility Status of Surface Soils. World Applied Sciences Journal; 2011; 14 (7): 1020-1024.
- Mohammad Rusan, M. J., Hinnawi, S., and Rousan, L. Long term effect of wastewater irrigation of forage crops on soil and plant quality parameters. Desalination; 2007; 215(1â3), 143-152.
- Al-Nakshabandi, G.A., Saqqar, M.M., Shatanawi, M.R., Fayyad, M. and Al-Horani, H. Some environmental problems associated with the use of treated wastewater for irrigation in Jordan. Agricultural Water Management; 1997; 34: p.81-94.
- Zema D. A., Bombino G., Andiloro S. and Zimbone S. M. Irrigation of energy crops with urban wastewater: Effects on biomass yields, soils and heating values. Agr. Water Manage; 2012; 115: 55-65.
- Xu, J., Wu, L., Chang, A. C., and Zhang, Y. Impact of long-term reclaimed wastewater irrigation on agricultural soils: A preliminary assessment. Journal of Hazardous Materials; 2010; 183: 780â786.
- Davis, J.G., and Westfall, D.G. Fertilizing Corn. Colorado State University. Fact Sheet No. 0.538; 2009; p.3-4.
- Malakoti, M. J. Sustainable Agriculture and Increased Performance by Optimizing Fertilizer Use in Iran, Karaj. Vaziri; 2000; 460 pp. [In Persian]
- Ben Mussa, S. A., Hawaa, S. E., Faiza, A. H., and Fatma, F. A. Determination of Available Nitrate, Phosphate and Sulfate in Soil Samples, 1(3), 598-604. International Journal of PharmTech Research. 2009.