Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Ecological Agriculture, Research Institute of Environmental Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran. Iran.
2 Department of Agroecology, Environmental Sciences Research Institute, Shahid Beheshti University
3 Department of Ecological Agriculture, Research Institute of Environmental Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran
Wheat is one of the most important crops used in the country and forms the basis of food security of Iranians. Wheat cultivation in Iran has a long history over 8,000 years. On the other hand, with the growth of the population of countries, the issue of food security has become more important every day to the extent that it has become one of the most important issues of the country and efforts are being made to achieve self-sufficiency in the production of this strategic crop. The area under cultivation has always been one of the most important factors limiting production in the world, and today in all countries, officials and researchers have paid attention to this issue in order to increase production without relying on increasing the area under cultivation. The history of compression of cultivation and the consequences of green agriculture in the form of conventional agriculture show that the way to supply crop production is not through this, inevitably the importance of studying the agricultural history of each country becomes more important every day which by analyzing events find the reason for the success or failure of programs over time.
Materials and Methods
Therefore, a study has been conducted in the form of a time series analysis study and quantitative content study to analysis and examine changes in area under cultivation, wheat production and population changes in a period of 60 years. To do this, the Mini-tab software has been used.
Results and Discussion
The results of the study show the linear population growth from 1961 to 2020. During the same period, the country's total wheat production has increased from 3.5 million tons per hectare to 11.7 million tons per hectare, which shows a growth of 234 percent in this sector. The area under wheat cultivation in these years has had less changes compared to the amount of production and population growth and has increased from 4.5 million hectares in 1961 to 6.4 million hectares in 2020.
It seems that the events of 1961 to 1971 in the social structure and industrialization of the country, changes between the two revolutions in 1971 to 1981, the occurrence of imposed war in 1981 to 1991 are all of special importance in changing the agriculture of Iran. This phenomenon is called social metabolism, which reflects the effects that the natural environment (agroecosystem) receives from its social environment, and in contrast to the effects that changes in the structure and function of agroecosystems on the availability of food in society.
- Abbasi-Shavazi, M.J., McDonald, P. and Hosseini-Chavoshi, M., 2009. The fertility transition in Iran. 75, 191-195). (In Persian with English abstract).
- Abrahamian, E., 1940. Iran between two revelation, Ney poplication. pp. 709.
- Agro-Ecosystems History Laboratory. 2021. Available online at: http://www.lha.es/en
- Akbary, M. and Sayad, V., 2021. Analysis of climate change studies in Iran. Physical Geography Research Quarterly. 53(1), pp.37-74. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Amozegar, Zh., Malek Shahmiri, S., Mirseyedi, N. and Haririyan, M., 1998. History of ancient Iran, Samt poplication. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Asakrenejad, S. and Lak, Sh., 2015. Evaluation of the effect of planting date on the production components of wheat cultivars in hot and dry climate conditions. Journal of Agricultural Plant Sciences of Iran (Agricultural Sciences of Iran). [online] 47(4), pp.551-564. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Available online at: http://agriservices.ir/ViewerSM1.aspx?code=201106
- AWNRC. 2018. Food Safety Report. AWNRC Retrieved from Available online at: http://awnrc.com/images/pdf/reports/foodsecurity-abstract.pdf
- Behnyafr, A., Habibi NoKhandan, M. and Dulati, R. 2011. Effects of drought on water resources in central basin of Gonabad during 1365-1385. Journal of Physical Geography. 7: 53- 66. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Black, J., 1999. DK atlas of world history.
- Borlaug, N.E., 2000. Ending world hunger. The promise of biotechnology and the threat of antiscience zealotry. Plant physiology. 124(2), pp.487-490.
- Charmet, G., 2011. Wheat domestication: lessons for the future. Comptes rendus biologies. 334(3), pp.212-220.
- de Molina, M.G. and Toledo, V.M., 2014. The social metabolism: a socio-ecological theory of historical change (Vol. 3). Springer.
- Dostan, R., 2014. An analysis of Iran's droughts in the past half century, Climatology Research, (23), pp. 1-18. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Dvorak, J., Deal, K.R., Luo, M.C., You, F.M., von Borstel, K. and Dehghani, H., 2012. The origin of spelt and free-threshing hexaploid wheat. Journal of Heredity. 103(3), pp.426-441.
- Emami Khoei, M.T. and Ziyai, N., 2017. Agrarian reforms and their economic effects on Iran's agricultural society. Mascoyeh. (4):59-86. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Farhang., M. 1970. Economic life of Iran. Abu Reihan Publications. (6):52. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Fathi, E., 2020. A look at the past, present and future of Iran's population. Statistics Research Institute. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Food and Agriculture Organization, 2021. Available online at: http://www.fao.org/3/a0037e/a0037e05.htm
- Foroghi, A., Masoodniya, H. and Emamjomeh’zadeh, S.J., 2018. Study about Impacts of "Land Reform" in Lives of Iranian Farmers in Political and Social Novels 1960s-1970s. Iranian Journal of Iranian History. 11(2): 115-143. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Ghadiri Masoom., M. and Najafikani, A., 2003. Development programs after the victory of the Islamic Revolution of Iran and their impact on rural areas. Geographical Research. 44 (35): 111-122.
- Ghaffari, H. and Garji, M., 1400. Evaluating the effect of soil erosion on dryland wheat yield using SWAT model. Soil and Water Modeling and Management. 1(3), pp. 53-66. doi: 10.22098/mmws.2021.9267.1029. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Hajjarpoor, A., Soltani, A., Zeinali, E., Kashiri, H., Aynehband, A. and Vadez, V., 2018. Using boundary line analysis to assess the on-farm crop yield gap of wheat. Field Crops Research. 225: 64-73.
- IDRC. 2010. Facts and Figures on Food and Biodiversity. Canada: IDRC Communications, International Development Research Centre. Available online at: https://www.idrc.ca/en/research-in-action/facts-figures-food-andbiodiversity.
- Kamkar, B. and Mahdavi Damghani, A., 2008. Principles of Sustainable agriculture. Publications University of Mashhad. pp. 350. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Karger, D.N., Conrad, O., Böhner, J., Kawohl, T., Kreft, H., Soria-Auza, R.W., Zimmermann, N.E., Linder, H.P. and Kessler, M., 2017. Climatologies at high resolution for the earth’s land surface areas. Scientific data. 4(1), pp.1-20.
- Karimiyan, N., 2011. Fertilizer Research in Iran: A Look at the Past, a Guide to the Future. Journal of Soil Research (Soil and Water Sciences), 25(4):265-278. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Khosravi, KH., 1972. Sociology of rural Iran. Publications of the University of Social Sciences and Cooperation. pp. 205. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Kianpour, P., Hekmat, M., Jangchi Kashani, S. and Misbah, A., 2013. Investigating the effect of war imposed on the production of the agricultural sector using the index of partial productivity and total productivity of production factors. National Conference of Applied Researches in Science and Engineering. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Kitchen, N.R., Drummond, S.T., Lund, E.D., Sudduth, K.A. and Buchleiter, G.W., 2003. Soil electrical conductivity and topography related to yield for three contrasting soil–crop systems. Agronomy Journal. 95(3), 483-495.
- Kiyani, Sh., Loveimi, N. and Almasi, M., 2008. Basics of agricultural mechanization (principles and application) with editing and revision. Jangal. 18-22. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Ko, J., C.A.S., Hall. and Lemus, L.G.L., 1998. Resource use rates and efficiency as indicators of regional sustainability: an examination of five countries. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 51: 571–593.
- Lak, s., 2002. Science Timeline. Persian Encyclopedia Foundation, (In Persian with English abstract).
- Mahdavi Damghani, A., 2020. Ecological Agriculture and Food Security. Journal of Strategic Research in Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. 5(1): 97-110. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Malai Tawani, A., 2008. An introduction to research methods in history. Ney publication. pp. 253. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Ministry of agriculture, 2021 Available online at: https://www.maj.ir/
- Mir Mousavi, H. and Kayani, H., 2017. Investigating the climatic classification of Kopen in Iran in 1975 and comparing it with the output of the MIROC model for the years 2030, 2050, 2080 and 2100 under A1B and A2 scenarios (with an emphasis on the issue of climate change). Geography and Environmental Hazards. 6(2), pp. 59-72
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), 1999. NOAA's top global weather, water and climate events of the 20th century.
- OECD/FAO. 2019. OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook. Paris: OECD Agriculture Statistics.
- Pabot, H., 1967. Report to the Government of Iran on pasture development and range improvement through botanical and ecological studies. Report to the Government of Iran on pasture development and range improvement through botanical and ecological studies.
- Patchett, I.S., 1982. Statistical methods for managers and administrators. Van Nostrand Reinhold Company.
- Patrignani, A., Lollato, R.P., Ochsner, T.E., Godsey, C.B. and Edwards, J.T., 2014. Yield gap and production gap of rainfed winter wheat in the Southern Great Plains. Agronomy Journal. 106 (1329). http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/agronj14.0011.
- Petrushevskii, Ilya pavlovich., 1965. Agriculture and land properties during the Mongol period in Iran. Karim keshavarz. Tehran: The University of Tehran, the institution of the study and research of social sciences. pp: 219-220. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Qin, X., Zhang, F., Liu, C., Yu, H., Cao, B., Tian, S., Liao, Y. and Siddique, K.H., 2015. Wheat yield improvements in China: Past trends and future directions. Field Crops Research. (177), 117-124.
- Rapp, A., LeHouerou, H.N. and Lundholm, B., 1976. Can desert encroachment be stopped? A study with emphasis on Africa-Report prepared in cooperation between UNEP and SIES as a background document for the 1977 UN Conference on Desertization.
- Rosegrant, M., M., Paisner, S., Meijer. and J., Witcover, 2001. Global Food Projections to 2020: Emerging Trends and Alternative Futures. International Food Policy Research Institute. Washington, D.C.
- Rousseau, Pierre., 1967. History of Industries and Inventions. Hasan Safari, Tehran, AmīrKabīr. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Schoppach, R., Soltani, A., Sinclair, T.R. and Sadok, W., 2017. Yield comparison of simulated rainfed wheat and barley across Middle-East. Agricultural Systems. (153): 101-108.
- Statistical Center of Iran, 1986. Available online at: https://www.amar.org
- Statistical Center of Iran, 2021. Available online at: https://ssis.sci.org.ir/
- Tajadod, H., 2008. Positive and negative consequences of implementing the land reform law in Iran. Hafez Research Journal. 54: 52-53. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Timmermann, C., Félix, G.F. and Tittonell, P., 2018. Food sovereignty and consumer sovereignty: Two antagonistic goals?. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems. 42(3): 274-298.
- CGIAR, 2021. CGIAR Research Program on Wheat. Available online at: https://wheat.org/wheat-in-the-world
- Williams, T.I., 2003. A history of invention: from stone axes to silicon chips. Time Warner Books.
- Zahid, M., Soltani, A., Zainli, A., Torabi, B., Zand, A. and Aalimaqam, S., 2018. Modeling the yield potential and yield gap of water wheat in Iran. Production of agricultural plants (electronic magazine of agricultural plants production), [online] 12(3): 35-52. (In Persian with English abstract).
- Zare Feyzabadi., A. Kouchaki., A. and Nasiri Mahallati., M. 2006. A study of the 50-year trend of changes in the area under cultivation, yield and grain production in the country and forecasting the future situation. Iranian Agricultural Research. 4(1): 49-70. (In Persian with English abstract).