Document Type : Original Articles
Professor of Pediatrics, Child Growth and Development Research Center, Research Institute for Primordial Prevention of Non-Communicable Disease, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
PhD Candidate of Environmental Engineering, Environment Research Center, Research Institute for Primordial Prevention of Non-Communicable Disease, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Pediatrics Department, Faculty of Medicine and Child Growth and Development Research Center, Research Institute for Primordial Prevention of Non-Communicable Disease, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Vitamin D is one of the essential ingredients in terms of metabolic and physiological processes in the human body.25-Hydroxyvitamin D[25(OH)D] is the most sensitive index of vitamin D status and reflective of its dietary intake and skin production. Considering the importance of vitamin D in human body, especially in pregnant women and in turn in their infants, the present study was conductedto examine the association of air pollution with serum 25(OH)Din pregnant women and in the umbilical cord of their newborns. This cross-sectional study was conducted in 2012 in Isfahan, Iran. This study comprised 100 pregnant women and their newborns. The air quality index (AQI) was registered. The associations of AQI and 25(OH)D were assessed by multiple linear regression. The independent inverse association of 25(OH)D with air quality can explain the high prevalence of hypovitaminosis D in pregnant women living in this sunny region.
- Chen TC, Chimeh F, Lu Z, Mathieu J, Person KS, Zhang A, Kohn N, Martinello S, Berkowitz R, Holick MF, âFactors that influence the cutaneous synthesis and dietary sources of vitamin D,â Arch Biochem Biophys, 2007; 460(2):213â217.
- Brustad M, Alsaker E, Engelsen O, Aksnes L, Lund E, âVitamin D status of middle-aged women at 65-71 degrees N in relation to dietary intake and exposure to ultraviolet radiation,â Public Health Nutr, 2004; 7(2): 327â335.
- Cranney A, Horsley T, O'Donnell S, Weiler H, Puil L, Ooi D, Atkinson S, Ward L, Moher D, Hanley D, Fang M, Yazdi F, Garritty C, Sampson M, Barrowman N, Tsertsvadze A, Mamaladze V, âEffectiveness and safety of vitamin D in relation to bone health,â Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep); 2007; 158: 1â235.
- Allali F, El Aichaoui S, Saoud B, Maaroufi H, Abouqal R, Hajjaj-Hassouni N, âThe impact of clothing style on bone mineral density among post menopausal women in Morocco: a case-control study,â BMC Public Health;2006;6(135)
- Nakamura K, Nashimoto M, Matsuyama S, Yamamoto M, âLow serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in young adult Japanese women: a cross sectional study,â Nutrition,2001; 17( 11-12):921-925
- Harinaryan CV, âPrevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in postmenopausal south Indian womenâ Osteoporosis Int., 2005;16(4):397-402.
- Gannage â Yareb MH, Chemali R, Yaacoub N, Halaby G, âHypovitaminosis D in a sunny country: relation to lifestyle and bone markers,â J Bone Miner Res., 2000;15(9):1856-1862.
- Bhattoa HP, Bettembuk P, Ganacharya S, Balogh A,âPrevalence and seasonal variation of hypovitaminosis D and its relationship to bone metabolism in community dwelling postmenopausal Hungarian women,â Osteoporos Int., 2004; 15(6):447-451.
- Andrian N, yordam N, ozon A, âRisk factors for vitamin D deficiency in breast â fed newborns and their mothers,â Nutrition, 2002; 18(1): 47-50
- Rahman Sa, Chee WS, Yassin Z, Chan SP, âVitamin D status among postmenopausal Malaysian women,â Asia pac J Clin Nutr.,2004; 13(3): 255-260
- Koenig J, and Elmadfa I, âStatus of calcium and vitamin D of different population groups in Austria,â Int J vitamin Nutr Res., 2000; 70(5): 214-220.
- Vestergaord BC, Koltho fF N, Gram J, Herman AP, Sorensen OH, âVitamin D status and its adequacy in healthy Danish Perimenopausal women: Relationships to dietary intake,sun exposure and serum parathyroid hormone,â Br J Nutr., 2001; 86 (1):97-103
- Hamilton SA, McNeil R, Hollis BW, Davis DJ, Winkler J, Cook C, Warner G, Bivens B, McShane P, Wagner CL, âProfound Vitamin D Deficiency in a Diverse Group of Women during Pregnancy Living in a Sun-Rich Environment at Latitude 32Â°N,â IntJ Endocrinol., 2010:917428,
- Agarwal KS, Mughal MZ, Upadhyay P, Berry JL, Mawer EB, Puliyel JM, âThe impact of atmospheric pollution on vitamin D status of infants and toddlers in Delhi, India,â Arch Dis Child, 2002: 87(2): 111-113
- McAree T, Jacobs B, Manickavasagar T, Sivalokanathan S, Brennan L, Bassett P, Rainbow S, Blair M, âVitamin D deficiency in pregnancy - still a public health issue,â Matern Child Nutr. 2013; 9(1): 23-30.